Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
There's a benchmark people carry out that measures the relative performance of various systems using Pro Tools LE by inserting as many D-Verb plug-ins as possible while recording 5 minutes of audio. here

E6600: 120 to 155 D-Verbs

Q6600: 233 to 317 D-Verbs!

It looks like if we get 1066Mhz RAM at the same time as Core 2 Quad CPUs, a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad based iMac is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the current 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo based model. Just think of all those software synths etc...

To put this in perspective, my 800Mhz G4 only manages 10 D-Verbs in the same test. That's what 7 years of progress does for you!

I didn't want to tag this on the end of any of the current "iMac moving to Core 2 Quads" threads because they're full of speculation about what will or won't happen, estimates about specs and prices etc... I just felt this was some very useful information for anyone sick of the sluggish performance of they're current system who's waiting it out right now before they start saving for their next mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.