Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cxi2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Hi all,
Having some difficulties with my G5 (Dual 2.3 ghz, 4gb ram). It's having troubles on startup, it either gets stuck on the blue screen, goes quiet then the fans start going (if left they go on full power !) or it will crash when up and running for a while, displaying the 'You Need To Restart...' message.
I have run Tech Tools, defragmented the internal drive, repaired permissions, ran a virus check, re-installed Leopard, none of which have showed any problems, but still it is very unstable. I had a particularly interesting crash where the console appeared to merge into my desktop, the desktop picture was half obscured by black with white text displaying a load of kernal error messages..never seen that one before !
I've never had this persistent trouble before, as i'm pretty good with housekeeping. The only two things that have changed on the system is the recent Leopard update and i have started using my bluetooth mouse and keyboard again after a period of not doing so (Apple bluetooth keyboard, Kensington bluetooth mouse - reinstalled the Mouseworks driver just to be sure - although it hasn't been changed since 2006 on the Kensington website - surely a bit old by now?)
Any suggestions ,as ever, appreciated, anyone else had any G5 problems since the latest update ?

cxi2001.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Is this the dual processor or dual core

Are you using internal bluetooth or an external usb

Is your graphics card seated right?

I'm doing fine with my dual core on 10.5.5.

I don't like updating right away for this reason.

Try it with a usb keyboard

Thoroughly clean out the dust inside the processors...

reset pram etc.

You don't have a liquid cooled G5 so you should think about the dust issue especially.

cxi2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Yes, i'll have a rummage around inside to check the GFX card and Ram, and check for dust. (I have a Dual 2.3 Processor) I did reset the P-Ram to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.