Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatTheFont is a popular Web-based tool to aid in identifying unknown fonts. Users can upload screenshots of text in an unknown font, and the automated tool, with a bit of input from the user to help verify that its interpretations of the characters are correct, provides a list of fonts that most closely match that shown in the image.

MyFonts has now released a free iPhone version of WhatTheFont [App Store], allowing users to take a photo directly from the app using the iPhone's built-in camera and upload it to the WhatTheFont database for identification. iPod touch users are limited to the submission of images saved from other applications such as Safari and Mail.

* Snap a photo right within the app
* Choose saved photos from the Photo Library
* In-phone image processing optimizes upload for speed and accuracy
* View font details in Safari or e-mail a link to yourself

WhatTheFont requires an Internet connection via Wi-Fi, 3G or EDGE in order to analyze the image and access the font database.

Article Link: WhatTheFont Comes to iPhone

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Brill cakes.

Cool beans! I use this site quite a lot for work and it will be quite handy to be able to use snaps from my iphone in a more automated fashion.

Brill cakes.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Add this to Shazam and SnapTell--my iPhone is becoming very aware of the surrounding world!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I picked this app up last night after seeing it on the AppShopper.com new apps list. It has worked well so far, at least on the larger ads, banners and flyers that I've used it on. I haven't tried smaller fonts yet, but from a graphic design perspective I'm more interested in ad or product fonts. This makes it easy for me to collect good fonts!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Perhaps I spoke too soon... hard crash of the OS on my first attempt.

Luckily, an in iPhone, that never means lost work.

EDIT: Obscure error message (with the word "Dang") on second attempt with the same image ("Time Capsule" on the product box).

Third attempt: success. Mixed but useful results--all I had to do was answer "blank" when it would try to identify each letter twice instead of once (?) and then it found the font :) Worth keeping on hand.

Sojourn

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
I was thinking, a while back, that this would be a great app for the WhatTheFont people to do. I'm really glad to see it hit the App Store!

I decided to try and identify the default font used in this thread, just for fun. It didn't do that well when I took a picture of the thread on the computer monitor at work, as it seemed to have some difficulty separating the letters from one another (the contrast wasn't all that great in the image, I'll admit). I then tried taking a screenshot of the thread from mobile Safari, zoomed way in to just one or two words. This time, the app was able to identify all of the individual letters, but for some reason, still not the font! Hmm.

Awesome idea, and neat execution (I love using my finger to draw a box around words). I guess we'll see how it works over time, and what updates bring to its reliability.

Take care,
Sojourn

EDIT: I tried again, with the same screenshot, but this time with a different word, and it said that the font is either Verdana, Tahoma, or Prima Sans Mono. In between attempts, it said that it wasn't able to access the fonts database -- maybe there was just a server-side update? In any case, this thing is fun. :)

EDIT #2: Interesting. I went and tried my original word from the screenshot again, and it identified it this time. The thing is, it wasn't able to figure out the period after the word (I had picked on at the end of a sentence); when I told the program it was a period, it couldn't identify the font, but when I left it blank and didn't suggest anything, it identified it fine. Weird, huh?

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I'm starting to REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate apple's contract with AT&T. Every week a new app comes out for the iPhone and I'm stuck with the choice of not having one just because of AT&T.

Worse is even the "touch" alternative won't really work in this case. I wish they'd add a camera to the touch! (I really wish they'd just stop with the exclusive contract)

Glad I saw this though, I had never heard of WhatTheFont (always did it by eye and experience).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Add this to Shazam and SnapTell--my iPhone is becoming very aware of the surrounding world!
Yup, I got all three. I use Shazam regularly and SnapTell just for fun now and then.

I haven't needed to identify any fonts so far, but I'm ready when I do!

Now we need an app that lets you take a photo of a person and look them up in your contacts, or in your iPhoto library now that iPhoto can recognize faces. When I forget somebody's name at a party, I can look 'em up on the spot!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Seems like a cool app. I, personally, would pay more than 99¢ for it, but only because I'd rarely use it, if at all. However, for graphic designers, I could see them using it fairly often and be willing to pay more it.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
I work in Graphic Design and constantly deal with issues between Mac and PC fonts. So I downloaded this and every time I open it I get a "Service unavaiable WTF can't seem to reach MyFonts right now. Please check your network connection." Error. I have 4 out of 5 3G bars. Do I need to be on WiFi? I mean WTF ;)

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
I work in Graphic Design and constantly deal with issues between Mac and PC fonts. So I downloaded this and every time I open it I get a "Service unavaiable WTF can't seem to reach MyFonts right now. Please check your network connection." Error. I have 4 out of 5 3G bars. Do I need to be on WiFi? I mean WTF ;)

Note: They misspelled "unavailable"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.