Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Guys I love my 2.0 Dual Core Powermac G5. Late 2005, and last revision Powermac. The one that takes up to 16 gigs or ram. No issues with it, ever. But it came down to the Quad or the Dual Core and the smaller one lost.

Did I sell it too cheap? I miss her already. 320 hard drive, new superdrive, 2 gigs of ram and 256mb Geforce 6600 PCI e video card.

dazloe

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Hmmm, I don't think so, is that in AUS $ or American? because I just picked up a late 2005 G5 powermac with 4GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro and 500GB hard drive for $900 AUS...So I think you actually got a really good price for it, whether it is in american or australian dollars, well done!

Toronto Mike

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
Toronto
I think you offered an excellent price to what it was worth.

I recently purchased the June 2004 dual 2.0 with 5GB ram, and the ati XT800 card for $1,000 Canadian on Craig's list and thought at the time that was fair value. I've added more Ram, replaced one of the hard drives - and since it is almost 5 years old, I'm looking to get a spare power supply.

These are extra expenses that any prospective buyer is considering when buying an older machine. This is why I cannot understand some people asking for so much for their G5 - even though I think they're great. They might need a little sprucing up which adds to the overall expense. The software is moving to Intel, and by the time Snow Leopard arrives, it is going to get harder to convince people to buy into the PPC machines - except for the die hard fans who want to continue to use the excellent software that we have.

Don't feel bad. You got a fair price and made someone very happy that will cherish your G5 for many years to come. I know I am grateful for the machine that I have bought from someone. In the end I think he was pleased that he found someone who knew the value of what he was getting and would take pleasure in it's continued usefulness.

Mike

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Did you sell it on craigslist?

I sold my mint dual 1.8 right before Christmas for $700, it had 9800 OEM 256mb, DVR-108, 2.25gb memory, 80gb hard drive, airport extreme and original box.

I sold my other dual 1.8 with 8 memory slots for $600 and had 1.5gb, 160gb+320gb hdd. 9800 pro 128mb.

I'm pretty close to you so yeah I think you could have gotten a little more. That was a good price though as they do hold their value. But I guess it'll sell for what ever price you want as long as there is a buyer. I sold both of mine within a few days of listing them. Yeah I miss mine too but there will always be more of them ;).

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks guys -- I did not mention that I pulled the airport/bluetooth out of it before selling it for my Quad and I did pay about the same for it that I sold it for -- i added extra ram to make up for the airport and a new dvd/hd. It is an excellent running machine. Very quiet, no power issues, great shape and I just miss it.

Whenever I sell something, I always ask myself, "What would I pay for it?" -- and that's why I listed it at that price and I got the right buyer in these stressful economic times so thank you God.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I think you sold at a fair market price, especially since you didn't lose money in the deal.

Buying a used Mac is a tough decision because they are so expensive new, become obsolete so quickly and yet still cost a lot even when nearly obsolete. Just look how much the later G4 towers still cost.

I bought a Dual 533MHz Digital Audio G4 back in '06 and have since put enough money into it to have bought a new tower - but I spent the money over 4 years. I need to replace it soon but this time around I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new tower.

Toronto Mike

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
Toronto
Buying a used Mac is a tough decision because they are so expensive new, become obsolete so quickly and yet still cost a lot even when nearly obsolete. Just look how much the later G4 towers still cost.

I bought a Dual 533MHz Digital Audio G4 back in '06 and have since put enough money into it to have bought a new tower - but I spent the money over 4 years. I need to replace it soon but this time around I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new tower.

I'm curious - why do the Mac machines hold their value for so long?

By the time you can buy a tower for under $1,000 - the performance with the current software makes you want to think twice and buy new instead, yet the new ones are so dear in price.

I'm almost thinking of an alternative strategy is to buy an upgrade copy of current software, then in four years buy a current machine that will then be used at that time for under a $1,000. The current machine in four years time will work well with the software that your machine was designed for.

Looking to cut corners pricewise with a Mac is not easy.

Mike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
LOL, no...hence hackintosh.

Hackintoshes have limitations that will keep them firmly in the realm of the hobbyist though.

As to the used values, Apple has a strong brand image and a unique OS. So if you want to go Apple, there is no cheap aftermarket PC you can buy. You have to get a Mac. And as long as the price of new Macs remains in the mid-to high end price range, resellers and people on ebay can charge higher prices for used machines and people will pay them.

For example, if Apple released an inexpensive "xMac" minitower that many people have been whining about for years, it would quickly destroy the used market for towers and, to a lesser extent, iMacs. The G4s and G5s would be cheap as dirt since a new computer with an up-to date CPU would be available for the same money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.