Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhartstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Has anyone found a way to automatically find all the pictures in the library that are missing location information? I have tried creating a smart album to accomplish this with no success. This is the condition that I am using:

PLACE is {{0, 0}, {0, 0}}

Although there are some pictures in my library that haven't been tagged, the result of the query is zero (no pictures).

Does anyone know how to create a smart album that detects pictures that are not geo-tagged?

cymryrbyd

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
solution!

I had the same problem and I was looking for the answer, when I read your post I decided to try again and the answer just jumped out. It's not as easy as a smart folder (I have tried them too and it didnt find my photos that didnt have a geotag). But here is what you can do...

Click on Places and zoom out so the map shows all of the world and all of your pins. Click on Show Photos in the bottom - this shows you all the photos that are on the entire map ie. the ones with geotags. Select all of these photos and put them in a folder called Geotagged Photos (or something similar). Then make a new Smart folder, where the condition is to include any photos that are not in the folder 'Geotagged Photos'. This leaves you with just the photos that don't have a location.

Not the simplest or best solution, so let me know if you figure out a better way!

Also, do you know of a similar way of showing all the photos that don't have all the faces named?

I just want to get all my library tagged!

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I use Smart Albums and This works perfect for me.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 480

cymryrbyd

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Kind of works

great... I didn't see that option under Photo, I was looking under Place.

However, I made the smart album, and it still includes about 100 of my photos that DO have locations in them - any ideas why some would still be included?

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I really don't know why, I still have a lot to do on mine, but haven't noticed any showing up that have been done... Do you think they may be duplicates and just look like some you have done??

cymryrbyd

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
no theyre wernt duplicates as it showed the location when you flipped the photo over... it happened to about a 100 photos out of the 13,000 i have...

i retyped the location in on these ones (exactly the same thing as what they already had) and they dissapeared from the No GPS Tag smart folder so it seems to work fine in the end!

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
no theyre wernt duplicates as it showed the location when you flipped the photo over... it happened to about a 100 photos out of the 13,000 i have...

i retyped the location in on these ones (exactly the same thing as what they already had) and they dissapeared from the No GPS Tag smart folder so it seems to work fine in the end!

Glad you got it working right in the end,, I guess iPhoto is a lot like me, fouls up sometimes for no good reason...lol

jasonkohles

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Search matching photos that do have a location

The reason photos sometimes show up in this search even though they do show a location is that the location they have is associated with the event, not with the photo itself. If you add a location to an event then it will show up as the location for all the photos in that event, but the location information isn't added to the photos themselves, so when you search for photos without GPS information they still appear in the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.