Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Hey all,

I can't figure out how to get the apps I paid for back after I restored my iPhone. I don't can't find the .ipa file or anything. Any ideas?

I apolgize if this has been covered a million times before, I am leaving on vacation tomorrow and need to get this info asap.

Thanks

kevin0807

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Hey all,

I can't figure out how to get the apps I paid for back after I restored my iPhone. I don't can't find the .ipa file or anything. Any ideas?

I apolgize if this has been covered a million times before, I am leaving on vacation tomorrow and need to get this info asap.

Thanks

do you have the apps on your itunes library? if you dont itunes should give you an option, if you backed your iphone before, to get all the data back from the back up you made

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
First off is the standard way - open iTunes, click on your device on the left, then in the window that comes up go to the Applications tab and make sure all apps are checked, then hit Sync.

Now, if you didn't do a full backup before a restore, and deleted them from your PC as well, then what you need to do is go to the iTunes store and "buy" them all back. Don't worry, you won't get charged, you just have to redownload everything.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
First off is the standard way - open iTunes, click on your device on the left, then in the window that comes up go to the Applications tab and make sure all apps are checked, then hit Sync.

Now, if you didn't do a full backup before a restore, and deleted them from your PC as well, then what you need to do is go to the iTunes store and "buy" them all back. Don't worry, you won't get charged, you just have to redownload everything.

Yeah, its weird. I have been switching comps a lot recently, and iTunes handles all that very poorly.

So if I go back to holdem in the app store, and buy the app, it will download but wont charge me? I tried doing that and it gave me the "about to purchase" warning. Should I disregard that and try anyways?

Jeonat

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Yes. Unlike songs you can re-download apps for free. I've never done it from within iTunes but have on the phone itself and a message pops up after you enter your password etc. saying that you have already purchased it and press OK to re-download it for free.

Minus Human

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, its weird. I have been switching comps a lot recently, and iTunes handles all that very poorly.

So if I go back to holdem in the app store, and buy the app, it will download but wont charge me? I tried doing that and it gave me the "about to purchase" warning. Should I disregard that and try anyways?

Had the same worries before. Purchase the app(s) once more.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Had the same worries before. Purchase the app(s) once more.

OK I will give this a shot with my cheaper app as a test run. I feel like I have switched so many computers and reformatted the iPod too many times for this to just work out, but I trust y'all here at MR, so I'll let you know what happens!

ADAAAMMownsYOU

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Help

I tried this but it said "This update is free because you own a previous version of this item. To get this update now, select OK." afterwards i press OK but the app just disappears and it won't install. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.