Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotenks05

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
I just recently purchased two audio books from iTunes store and I'm having a problem backing them up. I know I can make a data DVD, but that is not what I want to do, because they are audio files. My main issue is that I want to burn the audiobooks to audio CD, but the quality always comes out very poor. I have been searching around to see if there was a way to make itunes burn to a disc image, but I was out of luck. Basically, I only have CD-RW and DVD+R DL and DVD-R blank discs, so I would need to go out and buy CD-R, if it were my only option. So far, I have tried to burn to CD-RW at both maximum possible and 2x, both of which had poor audio quality, when I tested in VLC, since iTunes would not play any of the tracks straight from the disc. How can I burn audio CDs to CD-RWs from iTunes without the resulting audio having static sound, or is there a script I can type up to have iTunes think a disc image is a blank disc, or should I just buy CD-Rs?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Burn a data disk. You will always lose quality in the conversion process, and if you have to rip and re-import the audio into another player (or the same one) later on, it will have been encoded at least three times: by Apple before you bought the track, by iTunes when you burned it, then again when you ripped it from disk. You will either lose massive amounts of compression or massive amounts of quality in the re-importing process.

Similarly, don't think you have to burn video to a "video DVD" just because of the file type.

gotenks05

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Burn a data disk. You will always lose quality in the conversion process, and if you have to rip and re-import the audio into another player (or the same one) later on, it will have been encoded at least three times: by Apple before you bought the track, by iTunes when you burned it, then again when you ripped it from disk. You will either lose massive amounts of compression or massive amounts of quality in the re-importing process.

Similarly, don't think you have to burn video to a "video DVD" just because of the file type.

I do data discs for video, but I would have liked it, if I could say play the disc with audio from a PS2 or some other CD player, hence the reason why I want an audio CD. Yes, there is quality loss, but I am not worried about that as much as being able to hear static, when burning to a CD-RW as an audio CD, something that has not happened on normal CD-Rs.

SharpTeam

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
I know this is a bit of an old post but thought I would add my 2 cents.

You can burn an audio book to cd by creating a new play list in iTunes and adding the audio book to the playlist. You can burn your play list as an audio cd. iTunes will create a multi cd burn for you.

Best of luck

Seedouble

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2005
iTunes burning to disk image? DIsk image as blank CDR?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a "burning" question. :rolleyes:

I have purchased a Sony MP3 player and would like to put my stupid DRM Audible .AA book onto it. I understand you must burn an audio disk then rip it to MP3 to allow for such freedom of use that I expect with my purchase.

Is there a way to create a disc image in OSX (like a .cdr from Disk Utility) that iTunes would consider a blank CD? To be honest, I am too lazy to burn 30 CDs or whatever amount it may take.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.