Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Hi all,

I'm about to get a 16gb 3G and will need to unlock it for use on Orange UK.

Is there any verdict on the best unlock software to use? Obviously I need to be able to relock and return the baseband to its original for software upgrades etc.

There are a few sites about, including iphoneunlocking.com which claim lifetime support and relockability of the phone.

Whats the best on the market for an unlock (and/or jailbreak) and where from?!

Andy

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
If you're about to get a new phone from O2 or CW though, it's likely to come with 2.2.1 which you can't unlock with software, only with a piggyback SIM.

marirs

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
NJ,US
Jail Break IPhone and Queries.

Dear Iphone Genes

I have few queries before jail break my iphone

1) Will ATT unlock my phone after three months?
2) As new iphone use want to know difference between unlock and jail break
3) If I jail break can update new OS 3.0
4) What advantages for jail breaking and can it be done free?

Thanks and looking for your valuable answers

Regards,
Marirs.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Dear Iphone Genes

I have few queries before jail break my iphone

1) Will ATT unlock my phone after three months?
2) As new iphone use want to know difference between unlock and jail break
3) If I jail break can update new OS 3.0
4) What advantages for jail breaking and can it be done free?

Thanks and looking for your valuable answers

Regards,
Marirs.

1. No.
  2. Jailbreaking is gaining root acess to the iPhone, and being able to install Apps you cannot find in the App Store, as well as other cool mods/hacks (like themes). Unlocking is bing able to use the iPhone on any GSM Network (Like T-Mobile).
  3. You can. I'd reccomend restoring before you do. But remember, 3.0 is only in BETA and there is NO Jailbreak released for it. However, a Jailbreak will be available when 3.0 is publicly released.
  4. Jailbreaking is 100% free. Check out this site, they're the guys who make the Jailbreaking. They give out their software for free. The main advantage of Jailbreaking is Cydia. Cydia is an open source alternative to the App Store.
No problem :)

AndyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have a definitive guide to unlocking?

Can I still reverse the lock with Yellowsn0w and therefore carry out future software updates?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
If you can't figure out how to jailbreak/unlock, it's best that you don't do it.

This is the best advice that could ever be given to someone considering whether or not to jailbreak/unlock.

If you can find, understand and follow the instructions, then you should go for it. If not, then you should leave it alone.

I jailbroke/unlocked from 1.0.2 all the way to 2.1.0 but finally decided that the app store had matured enough to replace cydia and that the memory leaks and application lag were unacceptable. I still stand by that decision. Whatever anyone tells you, messing with your iPhone's software reduces its performance and reliability.

*snip*

Does anyone have a definitive guide to unlocking?

*snip*

Personally, I'd ditch Orange for O2 in a heartbeat but, if you're determined not to go with them, the only site I would trust for info is Hack That Phone.

AndyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
I'm quite capable of following instructions, but I just wanted to ensure the method I use is the safest and best.

Will using Yellowsn0w be better than a bought software from http://www.iphoneunlocking.com?

Furthermore, due to not actually having the phone yet, I wanted to get some helpful advice from members of the forum to ensure I am aware of the softwares levels required by using Yellowsn0w etc.

I'm not so interested in the jailbreak side it, more the unlock to allow use of my Orange sim.

I'll be staying with Orange until my contract end in Nov, then moving to my O2 PAYG sim.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
This is the best advice that could ever be given to someone considering whether or not to jailbreak/unlock.

If you can find, understand and follow the instructions, then you should go for it. If not, then you should leave it alone.

This is why I end up doing 1-3 iPod Touch Jailkbreaks a week :p

And yeah, I've had a much better time with O2 than I did with Orange.

But seriously, App Store. Mature? Hahahah!! You're a funny fellow! :D

I'm quite capable of following instructions, but I just wanted to ensure the method I use is the safest and best.

Will using Yellowsn0w be better than a bought software from http://www.************.com?

Furthermore, due to not actually having the phone yet, I wanted to get some helpful advice from members of the forum to ensure I am aware of the softwares levels required by using Yellowsn0w etc.

I'm not so interested in the jailbreak side it, more the unlock to allow use of my Orange sim.

I'll be staying with Orange until my contract end in Nov, then moving to my O2 PAYG sim.

Do not buy iPhone unlocking software.

Make sure you do not upgrade to 2.2.1 (if you have, it's already too late). You need to be on 2.2 or a custom 2.2.1. Make sure you have 02.28.00 modem firmware. Now Jailbreak using QuickPwn (tons of guides all over the net). Next go to Cydia after you have Jailbroken, then go to Manage, Sources, Edit, Add then type in 'http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/'. Install yellowsn0w, reboot you iPhone and... BAM! You're done! :D

AndyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Ok, I had found the dev team website but thanks for posting again.

So, please confirm my understanding:

Pwnagetool (running XP, not a Mac) will jailbreak up to 2.2.1....?

However, Yellowsn0w will only work with 2.2 (baseband 02.28.00)?

So are these simple to check when I receive my iPhone? Furthermore, what can I do if it comes pre-loaded with 2.2.1? Is there no solution for this? The pay per unlock solution offers unlock to firmware 2.2.1 - is Yellowsn0w currently being developed for this?

Thanks

PS. The dev team website states that the Pwnagetool is developed for use with 2.2.1. Therefore, will it not jailbreak a 2.2? Or do I need to get an old release of it from DevTeam?

Andy

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Pwnagetool (running XP, not a Mac) will jailbreak up to 2.2.1....?

Um, last I checked, pwnagetool only worked on a Mac. On Windows you need to use quickpwn. And that doesn't allow you to keep your baseband at 02.28.00.

However, Yellowsn0w will only work with 2.2 (baseband 02.28.00)?

Basically correct. However, pwnage tool does allow you to upgrade to 2.2.1 while keeping the baseband 02.28.00 -- but you'll need to find a Mac to run pwnage tool.

So are these simple to check when I receive my iPhone?

Yes. You can run the "settings" app to see your system info, which tells you what firmware and baseband you have.

Furthermore, what can I do if it comes pre-loaded with 2.2.1? Is there no solution for this?

Currently, no.

The pay per unlock solution offers unlock to firmware 2.2.1 - is Yellowsn0w currently being developed for this?

Don't know anything about the paid solution, and the iPhone-dev team hasn't posted anything about Yellowsn0w for 2.2.1 in quite a while. My guess is they are pulling the same game they did with the 2nd gen Touch unbreak -- they are holding back on publicly releasing the unlock until the next iPhone goes on sale.

PS. The dev team website states that the Pwnagetool is developed for use with 2.2.1. Therefore, will it not jailbreak a 2.2? Or do I need to get an old release of it from DevTeam?

Yes, pwnagetool will *jailbreak* 2.2 or any earlier firmware, as well as 2.2.1, but it won't *unlock* your iPhone. You need to use yellowsn0w to unlock, and yellowsn0w only works if the baseband is 02.28.00.

cosycoupe

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
Okay, so i am kind of new to this, but i would consider myself very capable with a computer and software. I have been looking around at the various softwares for unlocking and jailbreaking the iphone 3g. However, there seems to be a lot of contradicting information and i have began to question the stability and safety of any 3rd party software for the phone. It would obviously be an expensive mistake if for some reason the phone stopped working. Therefore, here is my question.

I found this website today that offers free unlocking and jailbreaking for any of the Apple software updates. [URL="http://http://www.iphoneworldwide.com/usa3g_soft.htm"[/URL]

Obviously you guys have mentioned that there no reason to pay for this service, and in fact you shouldnt because you can get a fix for free.

Therefore, i understand that jailbreaking essentially gains you access to new abilities through cydia. However, does the phone still function well? can it be put back to the way it was stock?

Also, is there really any benefit of unlocking my phone if i am not going to be doing a lot of international travel? the way i was understanding unlocking is it would allow you to use any other internation network free of charges. This would be awesome because i will probably be going to canada in the next few months, but i really am not sure if it is worth it to go through all the trouble and risk for really only 1 or two trips internationally over the summer.

Thanks guys. I am sure some of these questions are kind of repeats, but i really appreciate the suggestions and clarification.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Nice post. Iphones have inspired the whole idea of mobile phones. IPhone 3G unlock is a good goal and invention as it opens other website services to your iPhone. Through this process, you can easily download fun games, latest software and you can also enable access to other iphone functioning. Iphone crack provide a good service by providing a iphone unlock software. They provide for 2G and 3G's phone also. It is based on the one click software technology. It does not require a coding to unlock. I got a good unlock software from the iphone crack they provided me a good service by offering free dvd's and the wall paper, etc.

iPhone Crack - Latest Unlocking Solution - 2G - 3G - 3Gs

Get out of here you fake clown, anyone with a photoshopped iPhone box on their web page automatically gives themselves away.

unlckiphone

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Best iphone unlock

If you are trying to find out your best iphone unlock software then first of all make sure that the software is verified. second, it should support working with all kinds of networks.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Whatever you do don't pay for the software. The software is free.

The iPhone Dev Team, The Chronic Dev Team and GeoHot all provide jailbreaking and unlocking tools for free.

jemm

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
You can unlock any locked phone but you can't unlock them free of cost. Either you pay network provider to provide you an unlock code and get your phone unlocked legally or pay an individual who can unlock your phone using a software (obviously unlocking a phone without company's permission is considered illegal and doing so shall void the phone's warranty).

Once you get your phone unlocked illegally and later if you face any problem with the phone, the company wont assist you anymore so in my opinion the best way to avoid these problem is to contact your network provider and request an unlock code by paying a small fee. I have already unlocked some mobile phones of friends including mine too which ended up getting damaged in an attempt to get it unlocked using a software. I strongly advice either you buy an unlocked phone or contact your network provider. Thanks, James :)

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
You can unlock any locked phone but you can't unlock them free of cost. Either you pay network provider to provide you an unlock code and get your phone unlocked legally or pay an individual who can unlock your phone using a software (obviously unlocking a phone without company's permission is considered illegal and doing so shall void the phone's warranty).

Once you get your phone unlocked illegally and later if you face any problem with the phone, the company wont assist you anymore so in my opinion the best way to avoid these problem is to contact your network provider and request an unlock code by paying a small fee. I have already unlocked some mobile phones of friends including mine too which ended up getting damaged in an attempt to get it unlocked using a software. I strongly advice either you buy an unlocked phone or contact your network provider. Thanks, James :)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in the united states, both jailbreaking and unlocking are legal. Obviously Apple voids the warranty if you jailbreak but so long as you can restore the phone to stock (which is possible 99.9% of the time) Apple will have no clue that your phone was ever jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.