Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yahoo! Messenger for iPhone [App Store, Free] is now available in the App Store.

Connect with all your friends:
Instant message with your Yahoo! Messenger contacts wherever you are.

Show off and Stay in control:
Show yourself as available or busy, go invisible, or show off your status and let your friends know what you’re up to.

Share away
Share photos, emoticons and links, right from your iPhone.

Yahoo! announced the upcoming availability of the application and posted a video preview of the instant messaging application last week to demonstrate several of its features. The announcement was made in conjunction with the release of a new Yahoo! Mobile site and iPhone application.

Article Link: Yahoo! Messenger Now Available in App Store

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
is it just me or is Yahoo dead... maybe its the lack of POP3 and the 200 chat clients that feature Yahoo messaging..

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Not available in the UK store

I'm not sure it's relevant in the UK anymore though, at one time it was huge! Everyone seemed to be using it, but then msn took over and yahoo seemed to do nothing as an IM client

It's always good to have options though, but I just don't know anyone who uses it anymore in the UK..... actually I know one :) mind you she also signs into msn at the same time, so pointless really

Jay

panagiotisgr

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2004
Greece
not available in Greek store. hmmm. i wonder some times how hard is to let an app go world wide available? how an app is gonna succeed if it available only in US?

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Contacts Not Loading on 2G

WiFi connection, and it shows Connecting..... after loggin on and in the Contacts screen.

Forget this post... my bad.

I was logging into Yahoo Messenger under a mail alias. It seemed to log in and hung on Connecting...

Once I logged out of Messenger, then back in under my correct email login, it worked fine.

roberry82

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
is it just me or is Yahoo dead... maybe its the lack of POP3 and the 200 chat clients that feature Yahoo messaging..

I agree. The day I actually use a chat client for all the services I've signed up for individually is the day I need to have my computer/phone taken away from me. There are too many multi-service clients out there for me to run to the App Store to get this one.

What? A year too late, Y!, huh?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Yahoo! Messenger can connect to the MSN network (or at least, you can message people on MSN with Y! Messenger), making this indeed noteworthy.

zos

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Not available in Canadian Store as Well

Still not available in Canada. Maybe these posts should indicate which store they are available. Seems like its only available in US right now.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I cant login to any Yahoo iPhone application nor can I get Yahoo email using the mail application. Of course I can login through my web browser on the phone and my Macbook. Very weird!

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Yahoo! Messenger can connect to the MSN network (or at least, you can message people on MSN with Y! Messenger), making this indeed noteworthy.

It's not working for me. I can IM anyone I want on Hotmail, but they do not receive my IM's nor do I receive theirs.

Maybe the iPhone version is using a different backend?

pawcio

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Its not available in Canadian App Store, but I used that "setting up american account to download it" (the one that was used to get the Skype app) trick and it syncs up perfectly with all my other apps. :D I dunno why all these apps are starting to become US app store only!?

nibbet

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Too late?

It's about a year too late. I said that if Yahoo wanted to stay a float it needed to release this App when the app store originally opened.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
yep. not to mention clients for windows and os x.

i have (sadly) been running adium in the background. for Facebook Chat (can't keep up with it on the page) and signed into Yahoo just for the heck of it on there.

nothing beats iChat for me, personally!

iMAVERICKam

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
This is a complete non-story... the Yahoo! oneConnect app has been offered with Messenger integration for quite a while now.

It's not working for me. I can IM anyone I want on Hotmail, but they do not receive my IM's nor do I receive theirs.

Maybe the iPhone version is using a different backend?

It's probably using the same crummy network as the desktop client, which has the same problems from time to time when used with Windows Live Messenger Super Spiffy Express Plus! Edition SP3.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
One connect is pretty buggy and not very useful. The new yahoo app seems like a "do over" version of one connect without messanger. So then came this Y! messanger app. to fill in the blanks.

I dont find this one of much use. Anything like Nimbuzz, Fring, Or IM+ (lite) can handle all of your IM needs.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
One connect is pretty buggy and not very useful. The new yahoo app seems like a "do over" version of one connect without messanger. So then came this Y! messanger app. to fill in the blanks.

I dont find this one of much use. Anything like Nimbuzz, Fring, Or IM+ (lite) can handle all of your IM needs.

Ok, I'll try those apps.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.