Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:35 PM   #1
booste
macrumors member

What do Americans honestly think of Canadians and Canada.

I'm just interested to know what Americans HONESTLY think of Canada.

I've talked to some people who think Canadians should all be excecuted (They were completely serious too o_o) and some people who wish they could move here.

I'm just interested what Americans actually think And please, be brutally honest.
booste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

There is nothing wrong with Canada or Canadians, as a matter of fact, I'm wearing a Team Canada hockey shirt right now.
r.j.s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Keniff
macrumors 6502a

After watching THIS, I'd ask "What do Canadians think of Americans?"

But I think I know the Answer*!

*NSFW
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:47 PM   #4
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

I like Colin Mockery, so I think Canada is ok in my book too.

Seriously, I think Canada is very similar to the US in a lot of ways, the biggest difference everyone points out being the healthcare system. I think they're just fine people
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

I think of Canada's people to be just like the people of the U.S. I think their government is probably in a little better shape though!

Now Mexico on the other hand...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:49 PM   #6
kastenbrust
Banned

Its interesting that most Americans think of Canada as being similar to the US, because from an outsiders point of view being in the UK we tend to think of Canada as being very very different from the US and the only similarity being an accent.
kastenbrust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:49 PM   #7
cosmokanga2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastenbrust View Post
Its interesting that most Americans think of Canada as being similar to the US, because from an outsiders point of view being in the UK we tend to think of Canada as being very very different from the US and the only similarity being an accent.
I have to agree with you. Where I work I meet lots of people from all over the world and they all see the Canadians and Americans as very different. Most say that the Canadians are in general politer, kinder, cleaner and much better dressed and presentable. They see us of a cross between the europeans and americans. I have never traveled the the States so I can't really comment however I do believe we are slightly different, but every country is.

I do have to say though, I have met and heard stories of some pretty stupid americans before. In Banff for example by dad guided canoes and a common question was where the animals were kept at night and when did Folding Mountain fold up. My favorite though was a comment I got when I went bicycling across canada from a lady in California asking what type of snow plow we use on our bikes. Yes she was serious.

Last edited by cosmokanga2; Apr 21, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
cosmokanga2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:08 PM   #8
kastenbrust
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmokanga2 View Post
I have to agree with you. Where I work I meet lots of people from all over the world and they all see the Canadians and Americans as very different. Most say that the Canadians are in general politer, kinder, cleaner and much better dressed and presentable. They see us of a cross between the europeans and americans. I have never traveled the the States so I can't really comment however I do believe we are slightly different, but every country is.

I do have to say though, I have met and heard stories of some pretty stupid americans before. In Banff for example by dad guided canoes and a common question was where the animals were kept at night and when did Folding Mountain fold up. My favorite though was a comment I got when I went bicycling across canada from a lady in California asking what type of snow plow we use on our bikes. Yes she was serious.
This is actually how most people in Europe view Americans and how they differentiate them from Canadians but i didn't want to write it in fear of being branded racist. The truth is most people in Europe actually respected the US and viewed them as a world power until G.W Bush got into power, and now we have this sad stereotype of them as the obese, unhealthy, uneducated, obnoxious laughing stock of the world, and its sad for a country that actually has a lot going for it, hopefully Obama will help to fix that, but theres already cracks appearing in his administration.
kastenbrust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Noahkrz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmokanga2 View Post

It's funny you say that. Being from California, I can say we do have some weirdos. But also
living in the foothills of the Sierra mountains, I know that mountains aren't fake. For the most part I like Canadians. I just don't like the ones who say Americans are stupid or not classy. The stories you here about are of course going to be the stereotypical and funny ones. Since most Canadians live in the south, they are even closer to America. They share a lot of characteristics with the people in the northern US. And finally if that lady is that stupid and from California, she's probably never seen snow. But I like Canadians.
Noahkrz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Kardashian
Banned

Sorry if I'm being rude chiming in on the thread (I live in the UK/Australia) but I'd just like to say one of my closest friends is Canadian, and I know an endless amount of Canadians I formed friendships with whilst travelling - and I can honestly say, every single Canadian person I've met has been lovely, well mannered, and respectful.

Everyone I've met has done your country very proud

A lovely nation, it seems.
Kardashian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:50 PM   #11
booste
macrumors member

Wow to be honest Im suprised lol... I thought most Americans thought down on Canada. Haha glad I'm wrong though.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:56 PM   #12
99MustangGTman
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to 99MustangGTman
A lot of people i've talked to make fun of and joke about Canada. I really don't understand why. My cousins are Canadian and i've visited at least 6-7 times and I thought everyone there(B.C. area) was really nice and very polite.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:57 PM   #13
booste
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99MustangGTman View Post
A lot of people i've talked to make fun of and joke about Canada. I really don't understand why. My cousins are Canadian and i've visited at least 6-7 times and I thought everyone there(B.C. area) was really nice and very polite.
Yeah, I live in BC and most people are pretty laid back. But if you go to east vancouver you might not think so...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:58 PM   #14
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

How about watch when the American National anthem was played at the Bruins / Canadiens game last night and tell me
bruinsrme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:58 PM   #15
Hrududu
macrumors 68000

I've got several Canadian friends and my GF is also Canadian. I've never been up North, but the Canadians I have met are very nice people and I wouldn't mind going up for a visit someday. I'm also a huge hockey fan, so most of my favorite athletes are Canadian.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:59 PM   #16
mac 2005
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by booste View Post
Wow to be honest Im suprised lol... I thought most Americans thought down on Canada. Haha glad I'm wrong though.
In all honesty, I find it to be the over way around. I have traveled to Canada most of my life, and my family owns property in Ontario. I have heard more unkind things said about Americans in Canada than I've ever heard said about Canadians in America.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:04 PM   #17
spillproof
macrumors 68020

I loved the Quebec and Ontario Canada when I went last year. Niagara Falls is better on the Canada side haha. I even bought this shirt a few months later.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:49 PM   #18
dejo

I like Robin Williams' take, who said on Leno that: "Canada is like a nice family living above a biker bar."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardashian View Post
...and I can honestly say, every single Canadian person I've met has been lovely, well mannered, and respectful.
Yeah, it's hard to imagine but there actually are Canadians who are **********. I think most of them become politicians though.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:01 PM   #19
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Yeah, it's hard to imagine but there actually are Canadians who are **********. I think most of them become politicians though.
On the mark.

We are a great country, not because of our politicians, but in spite of them.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:03 PM   #20
Kardashian
Banned

I bet if this thread was "What does the world think of the British" or on a smaller scale, "What does England think of Wales" this would be a much less nicer thread.
Kardashian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:13 AM   #21
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
I bet if this thread was "What does the world think of the British" or on a smaller scale, "What does England think of Wales" this would be a much less nicer thread.
Well, you could always go off and start one... I like the Welsh, me.

I'm not Americanish but I quite like Canadians. We went out to Toronto a few years back and everyone was very pleasant.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:46 AM   #22
northy124
macrumors 68020

Quote:
OoOoOoOoO that would be a great thread
northy124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:20 PM   #23
MaCnation
macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's hard to imagine but there actually are Canadians who are **********. I think most of them become politicians though. [/QUOTE]

You've seen our Prime Minister/Fuhrer then?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:36 PM   #24
kazmac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
I like Robin Williams' take, who said on Leno that: "Canada is like a nice family living above a biker bar."
LOLOLOL...

I like Canada. Toronto was very nice - the people and the city. When I went the group of folks* I visited with talked like Bob and Doug McKenzie which made the trip even more fun.

*Granted this group was a thrash metal band in the late 80s....

Waiting for the Macs of the Future.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:21 PM   #25
smithrh
macrumors 68020

http://www.pleated-jeans.com/2013/09...anada-22-pics/
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion