Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Just purchased a refurb 1 ghz combo 40 gb hd on Apple.com!

This is for my mother-in-law.

I would like to update the RAM from 128. Does anyone know the revision of this model? I want to make sure I get the right RAM.

Oh by the way her first idea was to get "some computer from Wal-Mart, an e something oh yeah, emachine!"

Thank God I saved her from that nightmare.

I.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
...Or you could just tell him.

I have the same computer. It uses PC133 SDRAM, which is pretty cheap. You can easily get a 512MB chip to put in that extra slot for around $75 (don't use Crucial, they are a complete rip-off--it's cheaper to buy from your local Best Buy or Circuit City, or visit dealram.com). You can also get a 1GB chip (!) for only $200-$250. Although it doesn't sound like the person you bought it for will need that much. I use mine with 640MB and it works great.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
jamdr said:
I have the same computer. It uses PC133 SDRAM, which is pretty cheap. You can easily get a 512MB chip to put in that extra slot for around $75 (don't use Crucial, they are a complete rip-off--it's cheaper to buy from your local Best Buy or Circuit City, or visit dealram.com). You can also get a 1GB chip (!) for only $200-$250. Although it doesn't sound like the person you bought it for will need that much. I use mine with 640MB and it works great.

I would've told him, but I was too lazy to go look it up. Sad, I know....

punkmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
thanks!

I looked around and went to Bestbuy a little pricey because everyone has DDR ram now.

I went with 4Allmemory.com. That's where I picked up a 512 SO-DIMM for about $110.00 for my 1 ghz 17" iMac. A really good price! Not a problem at all basically free ground shipping.

I went with a 128 stick of pc133 for $36.00

She will have a solid 256. That should be fine for a while until the 3 children there really take off on the iLife apps!

Until then email, safari, word proc.

The best part is I get to play with it until I take it to their house!

Thanks for the help!

I. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.