Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:53 AM   #1
groove-agent
macrumors 6502

Import Multiple AVI Files Into iTunes

Hello all,

I have imported my DVD collection into my hard drive so I can have the entire TV series on my Mac without swapping DVDs all the time (I want to access them via Front Row). Currently the format is AVI and cannot be imported into iTunes. I can however open the movie in quicktime, save as a reference file, then import into iTunes. However, this would take me hours and hours with my video library. If I convert them to *.mov format, it would also take hours and hours.

I know there's a program called videodrive that will import them all, but I'd like to buy it only as a last resort. Surely there must be a way to do it via Automator or something?

Thanks in advance.
groove-agent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:55 AM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

Handbrake. It's what everyone around here uses.

Problem solved
Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:59 AM   #3
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
or with QuickTime Pro (with Perian installed) save as a reference file (very small file size, like an alias) and then copy that to your iTunes movie library Important: dont move the original AVI as it is referenced.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Chase R
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
or with QuickTime Pro (with Perian installed) save as a reference file (very small file size, like an alias) and then copy that to your iTunes movie library Important: dont move the original AVI as it is referenced.
How do you go about making a reference file in Quicktime (with Perian)?
Windows 8.1: Mid, i3-3225, HD4000, 8GB, 10TB Mirrored, SSD
Chase R is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Chase R
macrumors 65816

I think I've found the best way to import AVI movies into iTunes. Download MPEGStreamClip and open the AVI in MPEGStreamClip. Go to File, Save As, and choose MOV. This will pass-thru everything from the AVI file into the MOV container. There is no re-encoding going on, just changing containers. There is no loss in quality. Now you can add the MOV file to iTunes.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 05:00 AM   #6
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase R View Post
How do you go about making a reference file in Quicktime (with Perian)?
in Save As choose reference movie. though Movie2iTunes and MPEG Streamclip are probably better ways.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Chase R
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
in Save As choose reference movie. though Movie2iTunes and MPEG Streamclip are probably better ways.
Ya, I've been using MPEG Streamclip to turn my AVIs into MOVs. For the longest time I thought that I wouldn't be able to organize my movies into iTunes unless I converted them via HandBrake. Works great now!
Old May 6, 2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Laurenz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.mac View Post
Lets make it a bit clearer. The Perian component package allows QT 7 based applications play many common AVI A/V compression format combinations. Such apps may include the QT 7 Player, GarageBand, and iTunes. In the case of iTunes, whether or not the AVI compressed data will play depends on two things— the file container and the operating system.

For instance, Leopard and Snow Leopard will play the data if you can get the files to import to iTunes. This usually means the data must be re-wrapped to an MOV file container before import. Unfortunately, iTunes on Lion and Mountain Lion will not import most common AVI compressed data compression formats in either the AVI or the MOV file container type.
Laurenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Waiserbase
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
Handbrake. It's what everyone around here uses.

Problem solved
So use a free conversion alternative like HandBrake which is available for both Mac OS and Windows OS users. As to conversion times, the H.264 codec is very CPU intensive. Depending on the power of your system, the encode matrix dimensions of your file, and specific settings used, it can take a long time to convert files. I usually recommend setting up a batch conversion queue and let them convert while you sleep.
Waiserbase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Flowersoice
macrumors newbie

Well to be honest I don't like using handbrake. I mean it is great because it is universal (Mac & PC) but it doesn't have much to offer. Also, when I was setting it up and decided to stop the installation after watching a review of it, it froze my computer and restarted "Windows Explorer". Which was annoying... -.-
Flowersoice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Rosy
macrumors newbie

You need to convert the movie to .mP4 or mpeg-4 format to be able to transfer and sync it to the iPad.

iPad can only play .mp4 type files

If you use the latest iTunes, in the top main menu, there should be a menu option to convert the movie to the iPad or iPod compatible format.

It dosen't matter if the original source was a regular DVD or Blu-ray. It has to be in the format that the iPad can handle.

Also, look at Handbrake for OS X

Good Luck
Rosy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:06 AM   #12
hagar
macrumors regular

If you want to add videos to iTunes without hassle and complicated settings, have a look at VideoDrive. It adds AVI's with or without converting. Obviously, if you want to watch on your iPad, you need to convert (which it can do with HandBrake for faster performance). But if you want to organize all your videos nicely in iTunes, you can skip the conversion entirely.

VideoDrive will also download covers and descriptions, all in one automatic step. It handles both movies and TV shows.

----------

Just noticed VideoDrive has a new version out with a new interface. It looks very nice!
hagar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 09:17 AM   #13
groove-agent
macrumors 6502

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I didn't want to convert all my files using handbrake. It would take forever.

I did a search on the macrumours forum (thinking someone must have posted this question before) but came up with nothing. However, then I Google searched and came up with a result suggesting to use a freeware program called Movie2itunes: http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes . Ironically this result was a Macrumors post.

It took me a bit to figure out as they would say "drag your files into this droplet". Well, there is no droplet (I'm assuming it's an icon of some sort). So, I dragged my files onto the applescript icon after setting my destination folder and voila, multiple reference files instantly imported into iTunes.

Patience was rewarded today. It took me some time to find this solution, but it also saved me from buying a piece of software.
groove-agent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:24 AM   #14
hagar
macrumors regular

You can do this easily, for instance with Quicktime 7 by creating reference files. There are also tools that automate this for you like VideoDrive.

They put avi files in iTunes within seconds. No conversions, no hassle.

Last edited by annk; Jun 30, 2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Removed quote of and response to deleted post
hagar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:53 AM   #15
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular

I agree with the person above who suggested MPEG Streamclip. That app is fantastic, and you can create a batch list of all the files you want to change, and then go away and come back in 20 mins and everything will be done. I can't see the point in using handbrake because you'll just lose quality in the conversion. Handbrake is great but it's not needed here. You just want to change the container format as outlined above.
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:42 AM   #16
Jolly Jimmy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
That’s wrong, the original question was how to import avi files without conversion. You can do this easily, for instance with Quicktime 7 by creating reference files.
This is how I do it, takes only a matter of seconds. You do need Perian installed though I believe.
Jolly Jimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:38 AM   #17
Biscoe
macrumors newbie

You can use Handbrake (freeware) to convert files to iTunes compatible. the downside is it will take quite a while to convert 100 movies but good luck anyway.
Biscoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:01 AM   #18
Eodvince
macrumors newbie

You can also import AVI files to iTunes with Quicktime. Here's how:

Step One: Open the AVI file in Quicktime

Step Two: Click the "Share" button (bottom right corner, box with arrow jumping out of it)

Step Three: Click "iTunes"

Step Four: Select which devices you plan on watching your AVI file

Step Five: Hit "Return/Enter" on your keyboard

VOILA!

If you plan on converting multiple files at once, you will need to repeat all five steps for each individual file. It takes about as long as any other video conversion program, and requires no additional purchase or download provided you have the latest version of Quicktime installed. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Eodvince; Jul 30, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Eodvince is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:50 PM   #19
Singhra
macrumors newbie

I agree with the "Fresh" who suggested MPEG Streamclip. That app is fantastic, and you can create a batch list of all the files you want to change, and then go away and come back in 20 mins and everything will be done. I can't see the point in using handbrake because you'll just lose quality in the conversion. Handbrake is great but it's not needed here. You just want to change the container format as outlined above.
Singhra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Dunkaccino
macrumors member

Smartconverter works really well to convert almost any format into something iTunes can process if you don't wanna run handbrake. It's also a free app that does the same thing and doesn't take up as many resources.
Dunkaccino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:38 AM   #21
Jessyel
macrumors newbie

I have three Apple TV's (two 3rd gen, one 1st.) Based on my WiFi traffic, AirPlay only streams games from portable IOS devices. For media streams, the URL and login data are sent to Apple TV, which streams content itself. Otherwise, you'd be spending twice as much bandwidth (streaming the same movie twice), and drain your iPad's batteries in short order.

This is an educated guess, of course, since I do not work for Apple. But my own monitors confirm that once the iPad establishes a connection, further traffic is going directly from the media source to the Apple TV, and not thorugh my iPad. As for AVI files, a quick run through Handbrake will convert them into useable media.
Jessyel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store