Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rethish

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
hi,

I want to launch my application using a time based scheduling. I have created a plist by setting the keys: Label, onDemand, ProgramArguments and
startCalenderInterval. And I placed the plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons.

Then i loaded the plist manually using the terminal. It works fine on the specified time.

I want the plist to be loaded automatically on the specified time and launch my application.

How can be it done?

Is there any thing to be set additionally?

Is LaunchDaemons the correct folder to place the plist?

thankyou in advance

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
This probably isn't the Apple-y way to do things, but I don't know what is... so here it goes:
man cron
and take a look at the options for scheduling things in crontab. You can run:
cron -e
To edit the current users crontab and have things run at a certain time, on a repeating schedule.

If you just need something to run once, you can do this with at.
man at
to see the options.

Otherwise, others will have to chime in with an Appl-ier way to achieve this.

-Lee

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
We need more information:

What does your program do? Does it have a GUI (and therefore should not in principal be a daemon)? Does it need to launch when there is no user logged in? What display context are you trying to put it in (LoginWindow, Aqua, System, etc)?

rethish

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
We need more information:

What does your program do? Does it have a GUI (and therefore should not in principal be a daemon)? Does it need to launch when there is no user logged in? What display context are you trying to put it in (LoginWindow, Aqua, System, etc)?

I need to launch TextEdit Application on a specified time. I created schedule application which create a plist file consisting of three property keys : label , Program argument, startcalendarinterval. and save it in the /Library/LaunchDaemons folder.
But it is not working.

Then i saved the plist file in ~/Library/LaunchAgents folder and i
logged out.
After i logged in, then the textedit application luanched on the specified time.

Again i saved the plist file in the same location. But i didn't logged out this time. The application is not launched.

what is the reason for this behaviour?

How can i launch the application without logging out?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.