Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guysmiley75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
I know this has been discussed before but the answers are so muddled as to be all but useless. I need to remove Private Browsing from my Mac and need help to do so. The why is irrelevant.

-I'm running v10.5.7 Leopard
-when I follows the usual instructions :

1. Go to applications folder in Finder
2. right click (with a mighty mouse or 2 button mouse, or Control+click for one button mice) on safari and choose "Show Package Contents"
3. Go to Contents, then Resources, then English.lproj folder (or a respective folder for whatever language you have maybe)
4. Double click on MainMenu.nib to open it in interface builder

Yes there are further steps but I get stuck at step 4 - this simply doesn't happen - there is no interface builder installed on my Mac and this set of instructions is bandied around so often you'd swear all Macs had it.

Please, please can someone provide me with some simple, specific, idiot-proof instructions as to how to achieve step 4, or any other way of removing private browsing?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
If you have the Mac Os X Install discs, you can install Interface Builder from them. It's part of a developer suite called 'XCode'.

FWIW, Firefox also has private browsing mode too.

crackpip

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
FWIW, Firefox also has private browsing mode too.

Indeed, the user could easily install a version of any Mac compatible browser in their home directory (not requiring admin access), which would have a functioning private mode.However, even in private browsing mode, all (i.e. all applications') dns queries are cached by the system. You can look at the entries in the cache using:

dscacheutil -chachedump -entries Host

In the spirit of selling guns to both sides, the cache is cleared by during logout, restart, or by executing:

dscacheutil -flushcache

If you're really worried and don't mind the ethical questions, install a keylogger.

crackpip

guysmiley75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
thanks guys - at what step in the install process do I get to choose to install xcode? And I know this my sound dumb but what effect do reinstalling my Leopard OS X have on my current set-up. Also why didn't it install the first time when I bought it/ Is it a user-defined option?

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
When you insert the Leopard disc, the contents of the disc should pop up. Open the "Optional Installs" folder and then double-click the "Optional Installs" package.

KPower

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
Private Browser - can't disable

Since I downloaded the most recent version of Safari (4.0.2), I'm unable to disable the private browser using the instructions I saw in the forum. When I get to the interface and click on Safari, Main -- it isn't listed, like it doesn't exist. The application shows it, but the interface doesn't. What's up?

Really need help!

Thanks to anyone....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.