Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
I got this phone 2 months ago and have never had a problem plugging it into my MacBook and using iTunes. Now I just plugged it in to the USB multiple times and nothing is happening. The phone isn't even lighting up and iTunes isn't opening or acknowledging it at all. What's the problem?

cofidis2

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Mine is now doing the same. The only thing I've done was download the latest software update the other day and now when I plug my Iphone in to the USB for the computer it doesn't detect the phone is plugged in. Works just fine on a wall charger. I've used 2 different cables and tested the USB port on the computer to rule out those being the issue. I've had the Iphone/computer combo for almost a year and it's worked flawlessly...now this :(

Anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden Itunes doesn't recognize that my Iphone is plugged into my apple computer?

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Mine is now doing the same. The only thing I've done was download the latest software update the other day and now when I plug my Iphone in to the USB for the computer it doesn't detect the phone is plugged in. Works just fine on a wall charger. I've used 2 different cables and tested the USB port on the computer to rule out those being the issue. I've had the Iphone/computer combo for almost a year and it's worked flawlessly...now this :(

Anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden Itunes doesn't recognize that my Iphone is plugged into my apple computer?

I've tried everything you have as well. Mine too works fine in a wall charger. When it's plugged in the USB (not the problem btw, my flash drive works fine) nothing happens what so ever; screen stays blank, no noises, nothing.

cofidis2

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
OK figured it out. Here is what you need to do and it should work fine.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1747?viewlocale=en_US
If the issue continues after using the troubleshooting assistant, follow these steps to remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Service on Mac OS X. Note that you'll need authenticate with an administrator account and password to complete these steps.

1. In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.
2. Move the iTunes icon to the Trash
3. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
4. Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.
5. Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.
6. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
7. Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.
8. Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash. If prompted, authenticate with the admin password.
9. Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.
10. Download and install the current version of iTunes:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Be sure to restart computer after sending everything to the trash if you get a message that says your Itune helper is open and it won't delete everything from your trash can. After restarting, make sure everything is deleted from your trash bin...if not, delete everything and restart again. After restarting then download and instal current version of Itunes (step 10).

Mine now works perfect again.

Chapelhead

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
Still not working for me, either.

Going through the suggested routine gets itunes working, but only until I shut don my mac. Next time I come to use it, it won't recognize my iPhone or iPad.

Judging by the number of sites on the web that refer to this problem it's pretty widespread, but Apple haven't solved it yet ... unless you count downloading iTunes every day a solution!

lucyD300

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
major problem!

i'm having the same/similar problem

since syncing my ipad, now itunes doesn't recognise my iphone!

it says the only option is to sync it from 20th may when i last backed it up, but then i'll lose heaps of important personal and work stuff!!

also......heaps of apps crash before even starting

all this has only happened in the past week

help

corsica

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
I'm having the exact same problem. Within the last week, my itunes stopped recognizing my iphone. It will only recognize it in DFU mode, and I am able to restore, but not able to sync.
Any suggestions???
Thanks!

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I've had this problem with my iPhone 4.

I Downloaded iTunes 9.2 before it was publically available so if you did the same download it again from the apple website.

Unplug the phone from the USB sync cable and restart the computer and don't reattach it until you have itunes open and ready to sync. Sometimes it's just the USB itself that has an error.

Hope this helps.

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
I having this problem where iTunes will not even detect the connected iPhone, but other apps like iPhoto and Aperture can. What's weird is iTunes on a completely different Mac system will detect the phone in iTunes. I have already tried the method described above to remove and reinstall iTunes and it did not work, iTunes still does not see it. Hope someone can help me figure this out :mad:

CompUsed

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2000
Columbus OH
Same problem! I used to sync OK but now iTunes 9.2 won't recognize my iPhone 3g??? I haven't sync'd in a while but still? iPhoto sees the iPhone but iTunes doesn't??

Any Help?
I don't want to delete and reload iTunes as others have said that didn't help.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I've been through every support document on the Apple website to no avail, but this issue still persists, for almost two months now.

Has ANYONE figured this out yet? My iPhone works perfectly fine on my sister's Macbook Pro but not at all on my iMac.

dvduvy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Followed your directions but now...

Did everything you said, cofidis2, restarted, brought up safari to download itunes but on the download page i get everything except the icon to download. Says there's an error downloading page. Tried refreshing several times. On a separate laptop I can get the full page no problem.

sugarbabydoll24

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Tried another cable

I had the same problem, went through the suggested method and like most people it still didn't work for me. But that was when I used my old phone's cable. When I tried using the one that came with my phone, it worked.

May be my cable was damaged to begin with, but just thought I should offer something you can do.

ddiamondbc

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
fixing the iTunes won't open when I connect my iPhone issue

I found an easier fix than posted above:

connect your iPhone and, if necessary, open iTunes.
Go to the Summary Page.
UNCLICK "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected"
click APPLY
CLICK "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected"
click APPLY
say "yes" to (re)installing the iTunes Helper.
done. worked for me.

saguakid

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
I found an easier fix than posted above:

connect your iPhone and, if necessary, open iTunes.
Go to the Summary Page.
UNCLICK "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected"
click APPLY
CLICK "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected"
click APPLY
say "yes" to (re)installing the iTunes Helper.
done. worked for me.

Seriously dude??
If my iPhone is not showing on iTunes,how am I gonna click on summary tab,first needs to show up?,read carefully first

Gene Moore

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
Fixed By iTunes reinstall.

This just happened to me with OS X Lion. iTunes 10.4.1 (and the mac for that matter) quit recognizing my iPhone and iPad. I re-downloaded iTunes 10.4.1 and installed it. It looks like the Software Update to 10.4.1 didn't install everything. The moment I reinstalled, it saw the iphone and he iPad.

DustinDev47

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2011
This just happened to me with OS X Lion. iTunes 10.4.1 (and the mac for that matter) quit recognizing my iPhone and iPad. I re-downloaded iTunes 10.4.1 and installed it. It looks like the Software Update to 10.4.1 didn't install everything. The moment I reinstalled, it saw the iphone and he iPad.

You realize this thread is two years old right?

BryanOz

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2004
Solution worked for me.

That final suggestion by ddiamondbc worked for me. I still could open iTunes separately and get all normal functionality, it was that not opening up on connection that bugged me.

many thanks

CdnMacJen

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I am so frustrated! I finally received my new iPhone 4s today, just finished installing the microsim card, and wanted to restore from iTunes backup from my old 3G, so of course I was asked to connect to iTunes.

It doesn't matter which USB port I connect to, or whether I connect when iTunes is already open or not. I have even restarted my laptop once. My MacBook (and iTunes) simply won't recognize my phone! It makes the happy sound of the battery connecting to the power source, but the evil "Connect to iTunes" screen just stares back at me. :(

The summary screen in iTunes doesn't come up (obviously), so that previously posted advice won't work.

I'm really nervous about the idea of trashing my iTunes icon....is that really safe? Did anyone else have this issue with your 4s?

thetoness

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Simple answer

Very simple answer to your problem: Hover your mouse over the "DEVICES" listing on the left side of iTunes. When you do this a button will appear that allows you to hide or show the devices. I guarantee you have your DEVICES set to "hide" and that is why you are not seeing any device appear in iTunes.
Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.