Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoyo1230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
I have a white macbook. Today, I downloaded "handbrake" off their site. I didn't realized that it would use almost all of my processing power, so I tried to convert a DVD to mp4 while doing other things. that didn't work so i restarted the computer and did it again, this time having that be the sole program running. it worked beautifully. Then, when I tried to get the mp4 file to iTunes, my computer froze and so i restarted it, and tried again. My computer froze again, so i restarted it again. This time, my computer did not load the desktop or anything after the initial startup
By initial startup i mean first the ping, grey screen with apple and loading gear, and then the loading bar on the next page. it does all this, and if im correct, it is now supposed to show me my dock/desktop and everything, which it does not, it is simply a blue screen which occasionally flashes.
I've tried restarting the PRAM, running a hardware test, and repairing the permissions. After repairing the permisions, the blue screen does not flash but rather has a loading gear which does not stop spinning.
What should i do? i have an appointment at the Genius bar, but im sure they are going to make me buy some stuff that wont actually work. Is there anyway to fix this without losing my memory? thank you for your help.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Start up in Safe Boot (Safe Mode). By doing this, OS X will remove or fix any errors or if it's a program causing it, allows you to delete it so you can attempt to boot up. Try that and report back on your situation.

Yoyo1230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
I wish I could say I haven't tried that, but I have, I type in my password, and then it goes to the same blue screen but no spinning wheel/gear after a while of the default mac desktop with nothing but the courser...

dbowlin17

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
i had the same problem. although when i signed in with safe boot, it took me right back to the password screen. I had to reinstall my OS. also, the apple store guy told me that it looked like my hd was starting to fail. it is still failing. but i doubt thats happening to you. just reinstall it. maybe try backup.

Yoyo1230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
dbowlin:
if i reinstall OS, doesnt that mean i lose all my memory? b/c if i do, i really would love not to have to do that...

dbowlin17

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
if you reinstall, the way i am familiar with, then you would. maybe you could do archive and install...? i think that keeps data? i dunno. ive never had much data, so i just run erase and install the 3 times ive needed to reinstall my os...

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
The default OS X install does not erase your user data, it only places itself anew on top of the original system files. Then there is "Archive & Install", that will move the system files away to a backup directory. Still not touching your user data. Finally there is an option to erase and install.

It might be better for you to get a new drive installed first, before you go to that final option. But try the others first. There is a migration assistant to get data off your old drive. Or ask at an Apple store for help, they might be able to get your data from it if you do not erase it.

Yoyo1230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
alright, I'll check out that possibility and ask about it, I'll get back to all of u on how that works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.