Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
At work we were using a Power Mac G5 as a helpdesk server. Well, we ordered a beefy Dell server so we migrated the helpdesk to a virtual machine on that guy. Now, we have this extra Power Mac sitting around. Specs:
  • Dual 1.8GHz PPC Processors
  • 2GB RAM
  • 250GB HD
  • DVD-RW
  • ATI Radeon 9600 XT
  • Looks Awesome? Yes
I have one of these same systems at my desk (but I have 2 250GB HD's, and 3GB RAM). It runs fast. I do have my own personal Intel Mac's, but I have no problem with this Power Mac because it is still quite quick.

So what do we do? What would you do with it? I feel bad that it is sitting here, off.

I work at a University in the tech department, incase anyone is curious.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I'd either get FCS2 for that or set it up as a server again. If you don't want it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :).

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I'd love another G5. :D

But, things you can do.

Server; media's always there, you probably could set up an FTP client for pulling documents or backing up documents from work/on the road (this may be a problem depending on your employer)

Dedicated Render Machine; Sure it'll take longer then my Quad, but at the same time... No downtime whatsoever while waiting for things to render!

Office machine; If you work with Office:Mac and OSX programs, this machine would do the trick.

FCS2 machine; Need I say more? :D Although FCS2 for this G5 may be a bit of a budget overkill, I'd go with FCE.

Testbed Machine; Need to know what you can and can't install for OSX or other PPC OS? In that case, find out! Make multiple partitions and expiriment at leisure - just remember to keep nothing critical on it. ((Many a windows machine has fallen victem to curiosity :)))

DAW (Digital Audio workstation); I do not know how it would fare, but it could potentially do this.

Photoshop machine; Like it says, dedicate it to photoshop and/or the other Fine Arts.

Pretty much anything you can imagine a computer doing, just a factor lower in sheer computing power then computers today. Its a good machine, but at the same time it can only go so far.

If the University ever puts the Death Knell on it, may I ask when do they put out the trash for collection? :D ((My uni literally threw away a bunch of eMacs - people were scrambling to get them before collection))

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
It's hard to say what you should do. On one hand I hate having a perfectly good computer sitting around collecting dust, but on the other hand there is no reason to be wasting energy with a machine that is "On" but not doing anything.

I would maybe give it another 6 months of it sitting around and see if something comes up where it could be useful. If not, perhaps it might be better being sold. It's a perfectly capable machine.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I like the ideas. I will think some server ideas over (backups and the like) probably.

And yeah they do recycle a lot of stuff, and we are not allowed to take it. If we want it, we need to buy it, otherwise it must get recycled. Its dumb, but they need to show that if it was sold, it was sold for its value otherwise it was properly disposed of. They cant just have things 'disappear' from inventory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.