Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hi, my 3GS seems to run out of battery way too quickly. I am at 20% with 4hrs and 8 min of usage 8hr of standby is that bad? My 3G seemed to last longer. I'm asking because I might replace it if it's not normal thanks.

PhixionFilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2008
Deployed atm
Well, first off im not even going to give you the lecture on searching before making new posts, but come on dude, there is like 3 threads on this same topics on the same forum page.

step 1 - turn off push
step 2 - turn down brightness and put on auto
step 3 - calibrate battery
step 4 - turn notifications off if you dont use them
step 5 - turn bluetooth off when not using
step 6 - dont tether
step 7 - turn off location services
step 8 - turn off 3G when not needed
step 9 - make your phone automatically dim screen every 15 seconds
step 10 - continued with common sense.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Well, first off im not even going to give you the lecture on searching before making new posts, but come on dude, there is like 3 threads on this same topics on the same forum page.

step 1 - turn off push
step 2 - turn down brightness and put on auto
step 3 - calibrate battery
step 4 - turn notification s off if you dont use them
step 5 - turn bluetooth off when not using
step 6 - dont tether
step 7 - turn off location services
step 8 - turn off 3G when not needed
step 9 - make your phone automatically dim screen every 15 seconds
step 10 - continued with common sense.

I have read that before don't worry but I mean with push and 3G on some wifi and no Bluetooth is it normal? It last about 4hr and 30min of use throughout the day. Everything else is default settings.

neilp4453

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Well what are you doing for the 4 hours of usage?

If you are surfing the web or playing games...sounds alright to me.

But you should def. check against the predicted values for battery life.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Well what are you doing for the 4 hours of usage?

If you are surfing the web or playing games...sounds alright to me.

But you should def. check against the predicted values for battery life.

Yeah surfing the web, watching YouTube videos, and using apps like facebook. Thanks for the replies.

PhixionFilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2008
Deployed atm
Yeah surfing the web, watching YouTube videos, and using apps like facebook. Thanks for the replies.
Yep this is why. Apple will advertise the phone to last alot longer than it usually does on a daily basis. This is because when apple tests the batterys they have all settings off and watch movies, then turn all settings off then listen to music.
Real everyday people like me will have every setting on, and surf the web with wifi and the battery will maybe last 3 1/2 hours.
Sucks even todays technology, there arnt batteries that last long enough to support the technology it holds.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Yep this is why. Apple will advertise the phone to last alot longer than it usually does on a daily basis. This is because when apple tests the batterys they have all settings off and watch movies, then turn all settings off then listen to music.
Real everyday people like me will have every setting on, and surf the web with wifi and the battery will maybe last 3 1/2 hours.
Sucks even todays technology, there arnt batteries that last long enough to support the technology it holds.

I see so it's normal then. That sucks cause it runs out fast. Hope we can have a breakthrough in battery technology one day soon. Thanks again.

superxero3

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
does 'usage' and 'stand by' time overlap? ie. 1 hour usage and 2 hour standby = 2 hours of the phone on or 3 hours?

mdkrebs11

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
The only thing I would add to this is that conditioning the battery definitely works. It worked with my 3G last year and it seems to just now be working for my 3GS. I was a bit concerned because, for the first 4 or 5 days, the 3GS battery life was definitely worse than my 3G. For the past year, the 3G would typically last a full day under normal use (at least my normal use). I would take the phone off the charger in the morning before work and then by 10 or 11 at night it would be between the 10% and 20% mark and ready to be charged again. As long as it basically lasted the day, that's all I needed. For the first few days of the 3GS, it wouldn't even last half a day. In stand by mode, it was losing 10% an hour at times. One night I went to bed with 100% and woke up with 47% - all stand by and no push or location services or anything. I was ready to bring it back to apple. But yesterday I completed my 3rd or 4th (I can't remember) full run down of the battery (until the phone shut off) and then full charge up. Took it off the charger at 7am this morn and used it pretty heavily all day. I'm traveling so lots of phone use, at least a 1/2 hour of tethering, several hours of music and a lot of web surfing. Definitely more than my typical use. It is now 11pm and I'm down to 5%. My usage says 6.5 hours of use and 16 hours of standby. There is no way the phone could have handled that just a few days ago. And there is no way my old 3G would ever come close to that. I'm going to do one more full power off and full charge up tonight and see what the battery does tomorrow. But it is definitely trending in a positive direction and, far as I can tell, the 3GS battery is better than the 3G as claimed.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the 3GS and I "hope" that it will be fixed with a future software update. I am down to 65% with barely 1hour and 30 of usage. I just talked for about 15 minutes and I barely texted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.