Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
hello,

Can I use Mac OS X server as (Web Hosting Management) software, to host websites?

and what control panel will my clients have?

thank you

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2006
hello,

Can I use Mac OS X server as (Web Hosting Management) software, to host websites?

thank you
very generic question, can you give us some more details on what software you will be running?

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA

Yes, you can host LAMP-based sites using Mac OS X server.

None. You will need to purchase and/or download one and install it. Since Apple has a tendency to do thing their own way with regards to the various configuration files, you may be better off using a CentOS, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian or, if you'd prefer, FreeBSD based distro as these tend to have much better support with the various control panels; one of the above is a requirement if you wish to purchase CPanel or Plesk. It's a similar story with other admin panels such as Virtualmin: Mac OS X is rated as a "Grade N" platform which means the installer will not work BUT if you have to ability to manually configure things correctly it should work fine.

For my personal server I run Virtualmin GPL on a CentOS 5.3 install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.