Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smeeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Hi, I have had a MBP for a while now and love it. I've also just purchased an iPod Classic, and before it arrives I want to import movies into iTunes. However, I can't.

ALL of my movies are in file format, ranging from .avi to .flv.
There are a few that will import into iTunes but many simply won't. I was wondering what file types are supported by iTunes and therefore where I can find a free and powerful file converter?

Many thanks!:apple::D:apple:

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
Use Videora Ipod Converter. It will convert files specifically for the Ipod you have and you can also choose the quality etc. Works every time.

Apple's supported codecs are MPEG-4 and H.264. I believe H.264 is specifically for the Iphone and Touch but it will obviously work in Quicktime and iTunes.

Videora will output a .mp4 file. This is supported by iTunes etc. Another big format is .m4v.

Also if you wanted to copy DVDs use Handbrake and select the Apple, Universal preset on the right. This is compatible with iPod and is the same quality as the DVD. Handbrake outputs .m4v files

Oh, forgot to put this in. .avi and .flv is not supported by Apple. .avi is a windows file as it was originally made by Windows for Windows and .flv is Flash Media designed by Adobe for video on the Internet.

smeeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Don't know what I'm doing wrong but no movies will move from conversion queue to active conversion, from a 15mb movie to an 800mb movie. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for all your help

smeeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Well I would use handbrake except that it rips DVDs and doesn't change file format! I dont have the dvds, only movies on files.

still stuck on the videora problem.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
videora works just select video file and and Normal and select your file and so on then leave it until its done. Then you will have a Ipod compatible .mp4 movie!!!

Handbrake does rip straight to .m4v using the presets. I use it all the time. I have over 100 movies and loads of TV shows on my macbook.

Cave Man: You have a lot of computers!!!

Oh just saw your previous post Smeeg. I don't know what your doing wrong watch this and see if you missed something http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65D-lm4mTbs

smeeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
hey to everyone!

Many thanks for eveyones help. i have given up on videora, nothing seems to work, i left my mac on overnight and still, the video is just queued. anyway, the handbrake problem was fixed by a little version updating!:D:D:D

thanks for eveyones help again, this is my first thread as a macrumors user. you have all been lifesavers.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I don't mean to hijack this thread but have a very similar question.
I just got my first iPod with video capabilities and half of my iTunes videos don't work on my new iPod. Is their any program that will convert just the file, without changing the quality, size, etc? I know handbrake will do it, but I would prefer to not change the settings for each video.
Thanks!

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
I assume you have an Ipod Touch as they are the only Ipods that use a dfferent codec? If so then you will have to convert your MPEG-4 movies to H.264 Codec. And handbrake will not convert a FILE such as .mp4 or .avi it will only convert from a DVD as the source.

gotenks05

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
handbrake will not convert a FILE such as .mp4 or .avi it will only convert from a DVD as the source.

Actually that is not quite true. On Mac OS X Tiger, Handbrake cannot convert files, but on Ubuntu and Mac OS X Leopard, where you can easily install Handbrake 0.9.3, you can convert files using HandBrake.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
Sorry if I have angered the experts but I am just speaking from experience. I am running Leopard and Handbrake would not convert an .mp4 or .avi file. I have only had the application work when I select a DVD as the source

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Nobody's angry, just make sure you don't say things that will mislead others.

From the Handbrake home page:

Universal input
HandBrake is no longer limited to DVDs: it will now accept practically any type of video as a source. This massive enhancement was achieved by tapping into the power of libavcodec and libavformat from the FFmpeg project.

If you build the latest svn's you can even make MKV files with DTS digital surround in them.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
Ok sorry, i will make sure do more thorough research next time. I must have an older version.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I just got my first iPod with video capabilities and half of my iTunes videos don't work on my new iPod. Is their any program that will convert just the file, without changing the quality, size, etc? I know handbrake will do it, but I would prefer to not change the settings for each video.

No, there isn't. You have to transcode the file into a format that is compatible with the geometry, bit rate, video and audio codecs supported by your iPod. This is precisely why Handbrake has presets for iPods. You cannot put a DVD-sized video on an iPod and expect it to play - it will be incompatible.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I know, I have a bunch of DVD quality rips that I knew I would have to re-encode. But I have a a bunch of shorts downloaded in MP4 format from YouTube and other places that won't play on the iPod. These are the ones I was asking about, because since each video is 3-4MB, I don't want to lose any of the quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.