Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThBrokn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
I have a question for all you mac people out there :)

I just aquired a new old Ibook G4 and extremley excited but it only has a 30GB hdd and a "CdRom" My question is

I have a 100GB drive that im going to put in there, if i were to say partition the drive in two via a usb adapter and restore the leopard image "Family Pack" to a small 10GB partition and then put the drive in the ibook will i be able to boot off that leopard install partition?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Depends on which one it is.

According to MacTracker, the 800MHz maxes out at 10.4.11, any later model can run Leopard. Though, from personal experience running anything later than Tiger will be painful.

ThBrokn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
It is the 1GHZ model 12" with 768MB's of ram and already has leopard on it, runs very well imho

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
<-- speed elitist.

OK, so yes a partition will work fine.. though I would suggest something larger than 10GB.

1) Applications will take up space and I expect you'll want to install more and more over time?
2) Swap. You want space on the disk for virtual memory.
Running out of disk space on your boot drive will be annoying, I promise.

You could clone your current installation to the partition with SuperDuper! and save yourself some time, unless you want a vanilla reinstall.

ThBrokn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
<-- speed elitist.

OK, so yes a partition will work fine.. though I would suggest something larger than 10GB.

1) Applications will take up space and I expect you'll want to install more and more over time?
2) Swap. You want space on the disk for virtual memory.
Running out of disk space on your boot drive will be annoying, I promise.

You could clone your current installation to the partition with SuperDuper! and save yourself some time, unless you want a vanilla reinstall.

Oh no i mean im going to restore my leopard dvd image to the 10GB usb partition, then pop the drive inside the machine use the leopard install partition as the startup disk then install leopard to my second partition the 85GB :) is that possible? or can i do superduper to a usb and will it be bootable even though its a usb drive?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
He's not planning on booting via USB; he's just putting the drive in an external case, putting the contents of the Leopard DVD on it, then sticking the drive int he iBook to install from the imaged DVD.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If you want it as small as possible, you'll need at least 7.2gb if you want to restore your install image to a hard drive. You can find a guide here.

Don't plan on trying to boot from that partition from a usb enclosure though. It needs to be Firewire. Why not just clone your existing 30gb hard drive to the 100gb via your USB enclosure so you only have one partition? SuperDuper! is a great utility for the job.

ThBrokn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
If you want it as small as possible, you'll need at least 7.2gb if you want to restore your install image to a hard drive. You can find a guide here.

Don't plan on trying to boot from that partition from a usb enclosure though. It needs to be Firewire. Why not just clone your existing 30gb hard drive to the 100gb via your USB enclosure so you only have one partition? SuperDuper! is a great utility for the job.

This will work? I tried yesterday and it said cannot make bootable on a usb drive. :(

ThBrokn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Will do, i also purchased the 12" super drive for it too :) woo woo. thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.