Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
O.K my day old iphone 3GS is killing me. The top part (first row of icons) is completely unresponsive. When I first got home did the restore on new iPhone the bottom row was kind of hard to use, the slider when you turn it on took many swipes with the my finger for it to finally respond and the keyboard buttons, some letters weren't working properly or at all when pressed. I turned it off then back on and it went away, but now the top part of my phone is now unresponsive.

Things done so far:
- Soft reset
- Restore

Right now it's restored back to factory settings and it's still unresponsive.

- OK now I'm new to the Mac world (3yrs old) and have never returned anything. Do I call Apple Support or do I go down to the Apple Store and see if they will replace it?(1 day old) I can't go without my PHONE, because I used it for work so which alternative can make this happen.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Similar problem here. Except switching it off and restoring doesn't help at all.

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
That's not normal. Set up an appointment at the Genius Bar and get it looked at. I would stop trying to fix the problem at this point. If the problem somehow goes away, it could return at an inconvenient time down the road, like when you are out of warranty.

stezza333

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Dames problem here with my 1 week old 3gs. Second row from the bottom is unresponsive. Gonna take it back to the apple store tomorrow.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Well it's definatly a hardware issue. Took it in to Apple Store and they reset it (AGAIN), replaced the screen and still didn't work. Finally the genius person replaced it. I was starting to think they were going to send it in for repairs. So I got my replacement iPhone and I'm loving it. Lets hope it last longer then 1 day.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Gee, what to do if something stops working within warranty period?
What to do? Confusing. Hmmm, so many choices.

I got it!!!!-walk into an Apple store or ATT store and get another one.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Gee, what to do if something stops working within warranty period?
What to do? Confusing. Hmmm, so many choices.

I got it!!!!-walk into an Apple store or ATT store and get another one.

I would call AT&T first to see if they have them in stock. I think there return exchange policy is 30 days with receipt. Apple store usually has a lot more inventory then AT&T stores.

ejuanpiman

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
I believe they're return policy is 14 days. However you do have a day old iPhone 3GS and you wouldn't need a genius appointment. You walk in and ask for a manager and explain that you just purchased the phone a day ago and show them what's going on. They should receive yours and give you a brand new one sealed in a box. In this case since you are in the 14 day return period you receive a new one. After the 14 day policy you are entitled to a refurbished unit.

frunze

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
I believe they're return policy is 14 days. However you do have a day old iPhone 3GS and you wouldn't need a genius appointment. You walk in and ask for a manager and explain that you just purchased the phone a day ago and show them what's going on. They should receive yours and give you a brand new one sealed in a box. In this case since you are in the 14 day return period you receive a new one. After the 14 day policy you are entitled to a refurbished unit.

Couldn't agree more. Like I said in some other thread someplace, you've just paid a ton of money and signed yourself up for 2 years of servitude, so anything less than perfect in your brand new device is simply unacceptable. After they give you a new phone, they should also give you a free gift, like an iTunes card or something (though personally I never buy my music from iTunes, but just as a matter of principle). Good luck.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008

Wait, they gave me a replacement iPhone from an unmarked white box. I think, what they go me on was that I originally bought my phone from AT&T and not from the Apple Store. At first they were going to give me a brand new on until, they saw that I purchased it from AT&T they said that I had to go through the Genius and they will test it (which they did) and eventually replaced it for me. I tested the phone before leaving to make sure that the it worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.