Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I've noticed lately my iPhone's been pretty slow loading most apps (even the simple Google app), sometimes 5 seconds or more loading time, the keyboard takes a few seconds to respond, and it's not uncommon for an app to just give up and return to the home screen when I do certain things.

I know apps don't run in the background (as opposed to a computer) so I have no idea where this slowness can be coming from - what factors into it? Does it matter how many apps are installed/how much free space there is?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Are you jalbroken?

In the Apps store
free memory 1,4
memoryinfo
both 99 cents

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I have iStat pro on my ipod touch and it has a "Free Memory" function that does a pretty good job of opening up almost half of my iPod's RAM. It does lot's of other neat stuff too and I can use it to monitor temps and memory usage on my laptop if I'm in a game and don't want to exit just to check my GPU temp. It runs like five or six bucks in the app store but it's definitely worth it.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I'm not jailbroken. Just for information, I'm using a 3G (not 3GS) with OS 3.0.

Thanks for the app recommendations! I'll look into them. I'd appreciate any general info on what effects the iPhone's response times, though.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Anyone have a recommendation/advice on iStat vs. Memoryinfo vs. Free Memory 1.4?

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Don't some of the "free memory" apps only erase stuff to make space for music and apps? I never use them so hopefully someone else can chime in. All I know is that iStat ONLY clears up RAM, I don't know of any others that do.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Anyone have a recommendation/advice on iStat vs. Memoryinfo vs. Free Memory 1.4?

I absolutely love Memory Info from Recession Apps. With their newest update, I can just click the icon and it starts freeing memory right away, done within a few seconds, then I can hit the home button and go from there.
Just my 2cents:D

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Don't some of the "free memory" apps only erase stuff to make space for music and apps? I never use them so hopefully someone else can chime in. All I know is that iStat ONLY clears up RAM, I don't know of any others that do.

I think that you are confused.

Memory is the same thing as RAM. It is not where music and apps are stored. They are stored on the iPhone's flash drive.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I think that you are confused.

Memory is the same thing as RAM. It is not where music and apps are stored. They are stored on the iPhone's flash drive.

I know the difference but I thought that the "Free memory" apps cleared up space on the flash memory and not the RAM.

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I'm using SBSettings to free memory(jailbroken)

Is there any advantages to the ones in the app store vs SBSettings processes...

Is it normal to start with about 40MB free then drop to 20 when opening safari...sometimes it drops to 10....it seems super sluggish loading lately....

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Another vote for iStat.

Did your iPhone start to slow down right after the 3.0 update? Mine did. (3G Black 16GB.) I got tired of restarting it several times a day.

I bought iStat and it has been working for me.

ststharan

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
rambooster for iphone4

hai guys here is the solution to enhance the ram performance on your iphone4,it's really an awesome application called "MEMORY BOOSTER HD" costing just 0.99$ being in itune application store which makes your phone memory free helping to multi tasking operation without restarting your device.whenever your ram is lower than 30mb, just terminate the backround application&open memory booster application & click the start button,with in 10seconds,the ram would increase up to 350mb,the normal level,if you have any problems, just contact me via mail,[ststharan@gmail.com]

st7891

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Looking at the App Store, I found this app called "MEMORY 100%" by Cocopok and it woks pretty good for cleaning memory on an iPhone 4. You will see the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.