Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetmom88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
I've been reading through all the posts about jailbreaking pluses and minuses. I'm ready to make the leap. I'll be using purplera1n. I currently have many apps from iTunes that I like and hold a lot of data in them. A few questions:

1. Will running purplera1n cause me to lose all the data in my apps? Will I hve to reinstall apps from iTunes? When I moved from my 3G to the 3GS I had to re-download 70% of my apps when I restored my new phone (versus using the last backup).
2. If I have to do a restore to take the phone back to it's factory settings, will I lose the data in those apps?
3. Do you have to do a restore every time there is a firmware update? In other words, will I lose all my data every time there's a firmware update?
4. Once the phone is jailbroken do you continue to sync with iTunes?

Thanks for you help!

iboost79

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I've been reading through all the posts about jailbreaking pluses and minuses. I'm ready to make the leap. I'll be using purplera1n. I currently have many apps from iTunes that I like and hold a lot of data in them. A few questions:

1. Will running purplera1n cause me to lose all the data in my apps? Will I hve to reinstall apps from iTunes? When I moved from my 3G to the 3GS I had to re-download 70% of my apps when I restored my new phone (versus using the last backup).
2. If I have to do a restore to take the phone back to it's factory settings, will I lose the data in those apps?
3. Do you have to do a restore every time there is a firmware update? In other words, will I lose all my data every time there's a firmware update?
4. Once the phone is jailbroken do you continue to sync with iTunes?

Thanks for you help!

Just make sure to back up your iphone before jailbreaking.

Will running purplera1n cause me to lose all the data in my apps? No
Will I hve to reinstall apps from iTunes? No
If I have to do a restore to take the phone back to it's factory settings, will I lose the data in those apps? Backup iphone first.
Do you have to do a restore every time there is a firmware update? I would wait until any jailbreak programs release any updates.
Once the phone is jailbroken do you continue to sync with iTunes? Yes

adm531

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
The iphone is wiped, but when you connect to itunes, you are prompted as to whether you would like to set up this iphone as 'new' or 'restore from backup', which is an exact backup of all the data on your iphone pre-jailbreak.

So back it up before jailbreaking it, then jb it, and then restore from backup and all the app data will be safe.

You will still be able to sync with itunes without removing the jailbreak every time.

The jailbreak is broken only when you update the iphone to the newest software. So when it has been jailbroken, leave it on the same software (eg 2.2.1, 3.0, ...) for as long as you want the jailbreak. When you have had enough of jb, just update the software and it all returns to normal.

hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.