Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volcom883

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
istanbul
hi,

this happened me twice i wonder if the usb stick is faulty.
basically when i check the size of my pen drive it shows there is 13gb but there is only 1gb of stuff on there?

i already formatted the pen drive drive and its totally fine now.

however i was told by someone that i needed to empty my mac's trash in order to get the pen drive empty too. is it true?

thanks in advance

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Yes.

If you're deleting stuff off the flash drive, and it goes to your Trash Can, you need to empty the trash can to clear the space off your flash drive.

John White

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Fireshot, could you say what's going on here?

I'm running OS X 10.6.2, moved a 4gb folder to the trash from my 16Gb stick, no change in available, as you said. Then chose 'Put Back' from the Trash, and back it went, still no change in available.

Do you think the FAT32 file system on the stick is not being properly handled? I'm a bit suspicious because other odd things have happened.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Yeah, I had the same problem. I thought my usb drive was full. Ended up, some large video files were 'hidden' and not deleted like it was meant to.
Only discovered that when I was trying to transfer the files over to another usb, on a WINDOWS.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Yes.

If you're deleting stuff off the flash drive, and it goes to your Trash Can, you need to empty the trash can to clear the space off your flash drive.

This is the answer you are looking for.

Most of the other hidden files are too small to make that big of a difference, however, the way the trash works in OSX is that the files are removed to the trash folders but only truly deleted when you empty the trash.

Nothing wrong with your USB drive.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
This is the answer you are looking for.

Most of the other hidden files are too small to make that big of a difference, however, the way the trash works in OSX is that the files are removed to the trash folders but only truly deleted when you empty the trash.

Nothing wrong with your USB drive.

Agree. And I assume that this worked for the OP. As soon as you empty the trash on your Mac, your USB drive should empty out.

anfreutza

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2016
Even if I had no problems with my 16gb iPhone 6 and I still have 8gb left after I installed all of my apps and 5 songs, I decide to invested in a Wifi Flash Drive from here: http://bit.ly/1JEa8bY.
What do you think, is worth?

escape-e

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
hi,

this happened me twice i wonder if the usb stick is faulty.
basically when i check the size of my pen drive it shows there is 13gb but there is only 1gb of stuff on there?

i already formatted the pen drive drive and its totally fine now.

however i was told by someone that i needed to empty my mac's trash in order to get the pen drive empty too. is it true?

thanks in advance

When I was having the same problem, I solved it with the shortcut given in that address. I hope you will also benefit.
https://www.knowerstech.com/usb-mem...-to-open-the-hidden-files-in-a-usb-pen-drive/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.