Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James.Paul

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Northallerton, England
How do you remove iTunes artwork? I have tried to drag it out or replace with a new cover but i still cant remove the original. I used one of those software apps that import all cover artwork and now some of U2 collection has a Prince album cover on!!! Worse still, 'Dont get me wrong' by The Pretenders has 30 Classic Country Hits!!!!

Thanks for any help

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You'll have to mark the songs, one by one, choose File -> Get Info (Cmd I) -> Artwork, mark the artwork and press the Delete button. Then, if this was the first song on the album, you can press Next down in the left hand corner and delete the Artwork from the next song, and so on...

Annoying as H*** that you cannot delete Artwork for multiple songs... :mad:

Anyone found a better way...?

James.Paul

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Northallerton, England
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
You'll have to mark the songs, one by one, choose File -> Get Info (Cmd I) -> Artwork, mark the artwork and press the Delete button. Then, if this was the first song on the album, you can press Next down in the left hand corner and delete the Artwork from the next song, and so on...

Your right it is a bit of a trawl but at least prince's mugshot will be gone!!!

Thanks mate

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Mitthrawnuruodo said:

There does need to be a better way. It isn't intuitive at all. Adding artwork is simple and easy. Getting rid of it shouldn't be such a chore. I remember the first time I tried to delete artwork it took me forever to figure it out.

Its disappointing that something this simple should be made so obscure. I would think you should just be able to drag it out and it disappear in a puff like you do on other things. But since you can't, it leaves you scratching your head the first time. I thought for a while that adding on top of it was replacing it, but no... it just added another artwork, which confused me even more. The good news is once you go to all the trouble to figure it out, you don't forget it! :D

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
If you choose the song you want and then press Command-R to show the songs in the Finder, you'll see the artwork as a jpeg file there. Just drag the relevant pictures to the trash.

Still not great, but never mind. Why do you want to delete artwork anyway?

James.Paul

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Northallerton, England
johnnyjibbs said:
If you choose the song you want and then press Command-R to show the songs in the Finder, you'll see the artwork as a jpeg file there. Just drag the relevant pictures to the trash.

Still not great, but never mind. Why do you want to delete artwork anyway?

For me, it's just to remove some artwork that was put there by a third party app that i used to add artwork to my 2900 songs in one go. It did pretty well but on a few, it went tits up and stuck all sorts of artwork on that weren't anything to do with that song. It confused Prince and U2? The Pretenders with some Country & Western Classics compilation and James with James Taylor. I've now removed all the artwork and so it's done. It would be nice to see you being able to drag and drop it out of it's viewer though.

Roadfordaddy

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
This works:

How do you remove iTunes artwork? I have tried to drag it out or replace with a new cover but i still cant remove the original. I used one of those software apps that import all cover artwork and now some of U2 collection has a Prince album cover on!!! Worse still, 'Dont get me wrong' by The Pretenders has 30 Classic Country Hits!!!!

Thanks for any help

I have tried the other above suggestions.. thank you. 'Get info' worked for some artwork but not all... unknown why; plus it was time consuming. Viewing the artwork in 'finder' did not work for me as the jpeg file was not in that file.. only the .m4a files were there.

:apple:THIS WORKS: On iTunes, view your albums in 'grid' view (see image below). Right click on the album. Select 'clear downloaded artwork' below 'get album artwork' near the bottom.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 823

kyatay24

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
You can always select all your songs, click get info. Then check the box beside the artwork on the right hand side (it should be blank) and then click okay. then it will delete all the artwork.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.