Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katelindsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Hello all,
I just recently acquired a 'new' iBook PowerPC G3. Currently it is running OS 10.1.5 and all programs and software are extremely outdated! I love how it looks and runs, however in order to use it for school, I need just a few updates and maybe some of you out there know how I can find these.

It's very important that I'm able to type in cyrillic (Russian) and Arabic on my laptop. Is it possible to download these scripts or do I need to have a more recent OS?

Is there a download for iCal for 10.1.5? Should I update to Tiger? If so, where could I find/buy a 10.3 or higher update?

I have an iPod touch, and iTunes 3.0.1, I haven't attempted to synch them yet, does anyone know how recent iTunes is needed in order to connect with an iPod touch? How recent of iTunes can i get on OS 10.1.5?

Also, my iBook does not have wifi capabilities. It has an airport icon, but no way to turn it on. Do I need to purchase an airport card? Are they still sold for my model?

Thank you all in advance! Any answers would be helpful :)
Kate

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
The highest you can run is 10.4, though it depends on your processor.
The earliest iCal was for 10.2, but it's bundled with 10.4
Not sure of the earliest iTunes that can use a Touch but 10.4 will run it.
You'll need an original Airport card which I think are a little tricky to come by nowadays.

katelindsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.
How should I go about finding a 10.4 upgrade? Would I need to purchase it? I don't believe Tiger is sold or available through apple anymore.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.
How should I go about finding a 10.4 upgrade? Would I need to purchase it? I don't believe Tiger is sold or available through apple anymore.

eBay usually has a few copies floating around, just make sure they're the full copy and not the machine-specific restore discs.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Finding a copy of Tiger and an original Airport card should be pretty easy to do on eBay. Don't get suckered into paying too much for an Airport card though. Lots of them are BIN for around $30-45 and thats FAR too high. Watch one and bid, I just got one for $15 shipped about a month ago. It does seem odd that your iBook would have the icon if the card isn't installed though. You might want to open it up and see for sure whether or not the card is physically there. Its as easy as taking off the keyboard. Also, be sure and get a 512Mb stick of PC100 144pin RAM to max it out. You'll need it because anything less will make it very difficult to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.