Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
UK
I've just bought a 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac with Mirror Doors off eBay and I was just wondering if it will have space for a second CPU or not?

Also, what's the best upgrade(s) to get the most performance out of it as an iTunes/File server?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
It will hold 2Gb of PC2700 RAM and up to 4 internal hard drives. As far as CPU goes, I believe the MDD can be upgraded to dual CPU's if you get one out of another MDD.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Yes, you can upgrade a single-proc MDD to a dual if:

1) You can find a dual-proc daughter card on eBay.
2) You can find a dual-proc heatsink on eBay.

Look on xlr8yourmac for instructions, it'll involve flaking an extremely tiny resistor or two off the motherboard.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Thanks. I think I'll leave it. I think a single processor will be good enough for what I need :)
It's getting to the point where upgrading G4 PowerMacs just isn't worth it anymore. Grab a Mini and a few external hard drives and you'll have more computing power by a long shot.

My MDD lives in the basement serving media via gig-E to my Mac Mini "head unit" in my living room. Mac Pro is main machine now, only about 30x faster than the old MDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.