Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
UK
I have now got my full retail version of Windows 7 and I am wondering how well will it run on a 2.26GHz Macbook Pro?

I don't really want to install it and activate it without knowing it will run perfectly so anyone used the RC of Windows 7 that could tell me what it runs like?

Thanks

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Terrible. It's slow and bloated. Windows 98 is far less bloated than it or even XP. I tried installing it once and it crashed my computer and fried my motherboard. My friend actually died from installing it.

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
UK
Terrible. It's slow and bloated. Windows 98 is far less bloated than it or even XP. I tried installing it once and it crashed my computer and fried my motherboard. My friend actually died from installing it.

My sarcasm radar is going nuts!

Windows 7 Professional x86_64 runs great on my 2.66GHz MacBook Pro. I have had no issues to speak of.

Thanks. Shouldn't be too different on the 2.26GHz then.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005

This is the biggest BS I heard. Installing an OS does not kill your motherboard. Windows 7 is great.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
This is the biggest BS I heard. Installing an OS does not kill your motherboard. Windows 7 is great.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Come on, the "my friend died" thing didn't give it away?

My sarcasm radar is going nuts!

Haha good I'm glad you got it. Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has made so far. Even in it's unreleased state, it's still better than XP or Vista. Very fast and stable. You'll love it.

dmbfan41

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
what build number is the retail? 7600?

windows 7 runs great, but i can't get my wireless broadband dangle to work with it.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
For those who installed Win 7 Pro 64bit, did you have to do anything different to install it? I just downloaded the ISO from my schools MSDN site.

1. Install Boot Camp in OSX
2. Reboot computer with Win7 DVD in drive.
3. Format Win7 partition
4. Install Win7
5. Reboot and choose your OS.

Is there anything else to do? Does Win7 have all the drivers for the hardware?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
For those who installed Win 7 Pro 64bit, did you have to do anything different to install it? I just downloaded the ISO from my schools MSDN site.

3. Format Win7 partition
4. Install Win7

When you do the update through windows, you might get most of the drivers. Get them through bootcamp. Also download the drivers form Nvidia.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Come on, the "my friend died" thing didn't give it away?

Well usually yes I would think Sarcasm. However this is Macrumors. Mac people say the most craziest things about PCs.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2005
Boston

If you were talking about Windows ME, I'd completely believe you.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008

Dude. I installed 7 on my desktop and it made my power supply explode and kill my cat. I called MS tech support and they just told me to reboot :confused:

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I've got it running on my Macbook. The only thing to be aware of is that it does run significantly hotter than OS X, and that battery life is less.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Well usually yes I would think Sarcasm. However this is Macrumors. Mac people say the most craziest things about PCs.

I will DEFINITELY give you that! :p

3. Format Win7 partition
4. Install Win7

1. Sounds good.
2. Yup.
3. Yup again.
4. No! (just kidding, of course yes).
5. Here's where the fun begins...

Put your Leopard DVD in and install the Boot Camp drivers. Then get the Boot Camp 2.1 update (64-bit here, 32-bit here. Yeah, it says Vista I know but they work fine in 7). Install that. Then get the latest Nvidia driver from the official Nvidia site. Then run Windows Update. Windows Update will find anything the Boot Camp drivers missed and/or is out of date.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
For me at least, it's a good 33% less. I can't say this is true for every Macbook out there, but even with undervolting, which really reduces heat and power consumption, it's pretty bad.

Which Macbook is this? And do you get the CPU whine? I installed 7 back in May (I think) and have been using it ever since (used to use XP). Everything runs really well, except my Macbook (early '06 model) now has an audible CPU whine which it never had with XP. A bit annoying, esp in quiet environs.

Ozy

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Goodyear, AZ
I can't get the release Windows 7 DVD x64 to boot properly on my 17MBP. I get the "Select Boot Type" with both choices 1 and 2 empty. How are you guys getting it to install?

Angsty

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I've been running Windows 7 RC7100 (32 bit) on my MBA without a problem since May this year. In fact, I have only had one "crash" of the win OS since then so my experiences are that it is very reliable.

Pity about the price tag :( *sigh* Back to XP I go when the RC expires...

Ang

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
I've been running Windows 7 RC7100 (32 bit) on my MBA without a problem since May this year. In fact, I have only had one "crash" of the win OS since then so my experiences are that it is very reliable.

Ang

The price? There was a special back in July for $50 for the Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade and $100 for Pro upgrade. Now it's back to ~$100 for the Home Premium Upgrade. That's too much?

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007

Ang

If you didn't get it for $50 back in June, its still worth the $119.

Win 7 > OSX > XP > Win98 > Win95 (nope Vista isnt on that list)

flame shield on...

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Installed RTM and promptly removed it and stuck with XP.
It wouldn't recognize bluetooth on my original alu imac 20" 2.0ghz. I tried so many things to get it to work. Bootcamp drivers might have killed it.
I need bluetooth for my wireless kb&m.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Installed RTM and promptly removed it and stuck with XP.
It wouldn't recognize bluetooth on my original alu imac 20" 2.0ghz. I tried so many things to get it to work. Bootcamp drivers might have killed it.
I need bluetooth for my wireless kb&m.
I think you'd need a USB keyboard to load the Blue Tooth drivers. Once in, you'd be OK. (IIRC, I stumbled across this somewhere in the forum).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.