Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Recently, I partitioned my disk using Terminal's diskutil. I decided i didnt need the partition anymore, so i deleted it (using Disk Utility.app) and added the free space to my mac partition. Basically, Finder and Terminal dont show the free space added back, and Disk Utility shows the space added back to the disk. I tried restarting, repairing disk (which coincidentally had an unrelated problem), repairing permissions, but the problem is still happening.

pics are attached.

first pic = terminal
second = disk utility
third = finder (get info)

EDIT: I do have a seocnd partition for Boot Camp. Look at the capacity for Macintosh HD. 99.9 in terminal, 117.9 in disk utility, 99.88 in finder

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,897
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,904

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Recently, I partitioned my disk using Terminal's diskutil. I decided i didnt need the partition anymore, so i deleted it (using Disk Utility.app) and added the free space to my mac partition. Basically, Finder and Terminal dont show the free space added back, and Disk Utility shows the space added back to the disk. I tried restarting, repairing disk (which coincidentally had an unrelated problem), repairing permissions, but the problem is still happening.

pics are attached.

first pic = terminal
second = disk utility
third = finder (get info)

EDIT: I do have a seocnd partition for Boot Camp. Look at the capacity for Macintosh HD. 99.9 in terminal, 117.9 in disk utility, 99.88 in finder

Marking a partition as free space does not mean it gets added on to the main partition. Free space means nothing on it, it's just free of data. You need to go back to disk utility and extend the main partition to fill up the whole drive (it may not be possible to do it there, you may have to boot into Leopard DVD or use terminal command (i believe hdiutil) to extend it. That's why the size is different in those tools, Disk Utility shows the whole drive and both Terminal and Finder shows what the partition size is.

Your Terminal screenshot shows exactly what I said, the size of the main drive (disk0) is 149GiB but the main partition (disk0s2) is only 99GiB. You did not add the free space back to the main partition.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
You need to go back to disk utility and extend the main partition to fill up the whole drive (it may not be possible to do it there, you may have to boot into Leopard DVD or use terminal command (i believe hdiutil) to extend it.

I did extend the main partition to fill up the rest of the drive.

I used fsck -fy in single user mode, and that repaired the disk for me.

read the post, i have a boot camp partition, AND disk utility shows the full space at 117 GB (as it was before i partitioned the disk originally). windows is 32 GB. 117 + 32 = the magic number (149)

so terminal and finder aren't seeing the free space as attached to Macintosh HD. Ill use terminal to add the free space and see if that helps.

EDIT: terminal diskutil fixed it. now all three show 117.9 GB

thedug

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Do you recall what command you ran with command line disc utility to get this to display properly?

D/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.