Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CCRGMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
I have a hookup that connects my device to play through my car stereo in place of the CD changer (it came from PIE, I forget the model number etc, because it's all behind the dash). It plays all my devices just fine (several iPod classics over different generations, plus my kids' and wife Nanos) and I just got an iPhone 3Gs yesterday. It plays just fine but doesn't charge, I get the above message on the screen.

All the other devices charge just fine.

Any idea what's going on an how to fix it?

Thanks,

Colin

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I have not found a way to fix it, but I found something that does help is turn aeroplane mode on as it reduces interference when driving along.

Im not entirely sure why the iphone does not charge like the other ipod models.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
iPhone 3g + 3gs do not support charging via firewire which I believe is the reason it won't work. The iPhone 2g will work just fine though.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
There's no way to fix it, short of buying a new charger or an adapter.

Before the iPhone 3G, iPods and the original iPhone supported charging using two different sets of pins in the cable. One set of pins was 12V, compatible with the power on the Firewire bus. That was used by the original iPod, and was left for compatibility. Newer devices switched to use a 3.3V set of pins compatible with USB, and USB-chargers have been coming with iPods for several years now.

The iPhone 3G was the first device which removed the ability to charge from the old Firewire pins. This saves some cost since the iPhone didn't need the circuitry to charge at two different voltages. Unfortunately, many car chargers used the Firewire pins, since it was easier to provide 12V straight from the car's electrical system.

Newer adapters can charge the iPhone 3G and 3Gs, but there are also adapters you can buy to switch the voltages around so you can use your existing charger.

psha85

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
I keep getting this error on iPhone 4 with my regular charger. It always worked fine and suddenly it's started giving that error. It seems like if I unplug it and plug it back in enough times though then it works. Has anyone else experienced this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.