Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhapsody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Why would you want to make your computer calculate something in a wrong way?

It is the correct way to calculate binary values. Snow Leopard still calculates the amount of system RAM in base 2. This simply makes the RAM value of GB equal to the file and HD values of GB. Either way, let's not debate whether base 2 or base 10 is correct but use this thread for those who wish to use base 2 and hopefully convince Apple to at least give us a proper option.

ANSI/IEEE said:
kilo (K). (1) A prefix indicating 1000. (2) In statements involving size of computer storage, a prefix indicating 2^10, or 1024.
mega (M). (1) A prefix indicating one million. (2) In statements involving size of computer storage, a prefix indicating 2^20, or 1048576.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Frankly who cares?

It is only Finder showing base-10. Open up terminal if you must know what the base-2 size is. iTunes and QTX also report in base-2.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Lets see, so according to ANSI/IEEE 'kilo' is defined as 1000 or 1024 on a computer. Sure, that's not confusing at all...not to mention a nice consistent way to describe a unit that is used by everyone.

I don't know the full story, or so made that definition of 'kilo' on a computer to start with, but I side with hard drive manufacturers, they used the proper SI meaning of 'kilo' from the beginning, and OS' vendors simply decided to use the sizes of KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB etc but represented them as KB/MB/GB/TB because it probably aligned better with RAM manufacturers who produce RAM in lots of 2, because it's easier to double the size when they manufacture.

So RAM is still being reported in Base2 because that's how the manufacturers market it. Hard drives/flash drives are marketed in Base10 and thus they should be reported in the OS as Base10.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
Frankly who cares?

It is only Finder showing base-10. Open up terminal if you must know what the base-2 size is. iTunes and QTX also report in base-2.

BARF! exactly. apple changing in the first place is stupid, but copying some 10.5 stuff into 10.6 is even more ridiculous and completely unnecessary...

Were you really basing some mission critical application on the finder's file size calculation? haha. if so, LULZ!!

And like gibbz said, underneath, OS X is still base-2. no question there.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Lets see, so according to ANSI/IEEE 'kilo' is defined as 1000 or 1024 on a computer. Sure, that's not confusing at all...not to mention a nice consistent way to describe a unit that is used by everyone.

I don't know the full story, or so made that definition of 'kilo' on a computer to start with, but I side with hard drive manufacturers, they used the proper SI meaning of 'kilo' from the beginning, and OS' vendors simply decided to use the sizes of KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB etc but represented them as KB/MB/GB/TB because it probably aligned better with RAM manufacturers who produce RAM in lots of 2, because it's easier to double the size when they manufacture.

So RAM is still being reported in Base2 because that's how the manufacturers market it. Hard drives/flash drives are marketed in Base10 and thus they should be reported in the OS as Base10.
This has nothing to do with marketing, although the Base10 used by disk manufacturers is (Base10 seems bigger than Base2 and that is good for sales).

Granted, you are not old enough to remember, but early computers did everything in Base2, and it was all called kB, MB, etc. Only recently (1998), some dipstick felt it was confusing to use kB etc for a Base2 system and introduced KiB, MiB, etc.

Computers are binary and hence use Base2. As a result, kilo means 1024. If simple people can't get that, that's really their problem. Base10 on computers is to satisfy the ignorant and the stupid masses.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
This has nothing to do with marketing, although the Base10 used by disk manufacturers is (Base10 seems bigger than Base2 and that is good for sales).

Granted, you are not old enough to remember, but early computers did everything in Base2, and it was all called kB, MB, etc. Only recently (1998), some dipstick felt it was confusing to use kB etc for a Base2 system and introduced KiB, MiB, etc.

Computers are binary and hence use Base2. As a result, kilo means 1024. If simple people can't get that, that's really their problem. Base10 on computers is to satisfy the ignorant and the stupid masses.

so then your 320 GB hard drive is only 298. Might want to update your signature if you feel that way.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
so then your 320 GB hard drive is only 298. Might want to update your signature if you feel that way.
Nah, cause nobody understands harddisks with 298GB. But at least I am not one of the hordes of people whining about why their 320GB hdd is only giving them 298GB when they look at it in finder. ;)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Frankly who cares?

I think you answered your own question.

If everything else still reports Base 2 (specifically iTunes), then if I have 350MB's of space left on my Apple TV and I have a new TV episode to put onto my Apple TV, Finder will tell me this is 367MB's (in Base 10) making me think I don't have enough space on my Apple TV for it, when in fact I do.

I'm not debating whether Base 2 or Base 10 is correct, but saying that we shouldn't be using Base 10 at all unless everything in OS X used it.

At the least, Apple should give us an option to choose.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This is a major fail on Apple's part. If they could make it consistent across the entire OS, I would be a bit happier, but the fact that Finder is base 10 and everything else is base 2 just makes things confusing, and I wish Finder would revert back to base 2. That said, I'm not going to replace system files from Leopard, that's just asking for trouble.

rpp3po

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2003
Germany
Yes, I would also prefer a all base 10 Snow Leopard over this hybrid crap.

This thread already contains a blood shed discussion about why going base 10 actually makes sense.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

It takes a really ignorant person to suggest that the standard definition of kilo is 1024. You don't change the definition simply because you're talking about a computer. Kilo means 1000 in the metric system, THATS the standard.

Sunnzy

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
While I am not going to use Leopard's Finder just yet, I always like to know if there are any other way to make Finder report it in base2. I couldn't care less which one is politically correct, this is my computer I should have the choice.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
While I am not going to use Leopard's Finder just yet, I always like to know if there are any other way to make Finder report it in base2. I couldn't care less which one is politically correct, this is my computer I should have the choice.

Do you have the choice in other operating systems?

Honest question.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON

Hmm?

Bits have a binary state (on or off), but that doesn't mean the whole system has to be base 2, or counted in binary.

A byte is made of 8 bits (each with 2 states, granted), but that doesn't change the counting of the bytes themselves. 10 bytes is still 10 bytes. 100 bytes is still 100 bytes. 1000 bytes is still a thousand bytes. And if you want to express that same idea (1000 bytes) in the short form, you can use "kilo" to replace the "1000" - aka the kilobyte.

Same goes for mega (million) and giga (billion).

avediswolf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
We just need to average it, and convert all computer to use my new system called "base computer" which will make 1GB = 1012MB. Then everyone will be happy.

Clear as mud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.