Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invasian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
Hi everyone. This problem has been driving me nuts.

First, I have RCN cable with the modem that they supplied me.

Second, I want to connect my router (Westell 6100) to the modem so that I can have wifi.

Here are the different scenarios that I have done with their respective results.

1. Using ethernet cable, connecting from my modem directly to my MBP, i have internet access. So no problems there

2. I connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router. Wireless is active as is internet (both lights turn green). Using my iPhone, i connect to wifi, it asks for the password, I enter it in, I am connected. Using my MBP, it says I have a self-assigned IP address and I cannot connect to the internet.

3. I connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router. Wireless is active as is internet (both lights turn green). If I connect another ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the router to my MBP, I have internet access

So I guess my question is, why isn't my MBP picking up the wifi like my iphone is? If anyone could help me, that would be great. I have searched around the internet, but nothing has helped.

Thanks,
QP

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I feel your pain. This started happening to me a few weeks ago on all machines for no reason at all. I had changed nothing at all. I changed my router and made several other changes, but nothing has worked.

You can try some of the suggestions here, but I have not yet found anything that is a permanent solution: http://www.davidpierron.com/index.php/archives/2009/04/13/289/

I am starting to think there is some fundamental problem with OS X. I may try switching to a non-Apple router to see if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.