Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Forum member Jape has discovered a wall entry in Navigon's Facebook page that reveals the navigation company has a car kit for the iPhone in the works. In response to a question from another Facebook user, Navigon states, "...we are working on a kir [sic] kit for the iPhone...more information will follow."

142032-navigon-facebook-2.jpg

Navigon was one of the first turn-by-turn navigation apps available for the iPhone earlier this summer. TomTom, a major competitor in the navigation space, announced its own app and companion car kit at WWDC in early June, though the app only recently made its debut in the App Store in mid-August, and it was just revealed that the Car Kit will not be available until October.

Navigon's wall post referencing an upcoming car kit was made on August 18, and no further information about it has been provided via Facebook nor in any recent press releases from the company.

Article Link: Navigon to Make Car Kit for iPhone

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
the technology navigon has been developing as been much more impressive than what tomtom provide.

dave-tx

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
I've been thrilled with the performance of the Navigon app here in Texas. Might consider the car kit depending on the features, but I'm plenty happy with the software/iPhone combo as-is.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Hopefully they learn from TomTom and add an FM transmitter so I don't have multiple cables around my car.

Banyan Bruce

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Devon, UK
..excellent bit of joined up thinking

Hopefully they learn from TomTom and add an FM transmitter so I don't have multiple cables around my car.

Now that would get my vote and a definite purchase. TomTom has been a real disappointment. Navigon does represent very good value and it has made several converts here with me and many of my friends.

FM transmitter, TMC and improved GPS reception plus updated maps and this is a winner by a clear mile !!!:cool:

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
All it needs is a mount and a charger for the iPhone. TomTom have dug themselves in too far with their mount, once you've bought it all it's cheaper to buy a standalone sat nav. Then again, I suppose they had to because otherwise they'd be losing money to people buying phones with GPS in.

MoonDogg

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Arkansas
It needs to either have the ipod/iphone type connector on it.. or a usb charging port that has ipod control pass through so I can plug it into my radio (like I do now) and have the radio control it and charge it... while navigating... :cool:

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Note to NAVIGON - make a car kit where we can plug in multiple items - hub.

so it charges the iphone
does the navigon thing
has an external connector to the stereo

for my needs, it would be great if their car kit just had a regular ipod/iphone input. my current stereo out charges and receives stereo signal from the iphone. and the plug is a male iphone plug.

nanto

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Navigon works

When I travel on work I always used my TomTom car unit. The Iphone app meant that I would no longer need to carry this around with me. TomTom just took too long and was too expensive so I bought Navigon.
Could not be happier.
We just need the promised updates and its as good as any dedicated set.

BTW I would not change the price, if you up it to TomToms level I think people will opt for what they already know, probably TomTom.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Can Navigon do landscape mode as well?
Yes it can.

Whilst you are sitting on the fence about updates, you ought to consider that Navigon have already released a couple of updates whilst TomTom was still sitting with their thumbs up their backsides. Even the big missing 6/7-digit postcode thing is planned for the next update.

I've been a loyal TT user for years, but have now completely defected to Navigon. I'm normally fiercely loyal but this summer I lost complete faith in TT which, unfortunately for them, was quickly replaced by the impressive Navigon offering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.