Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paddensg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Lansing, MI
It seems my new 17" MBP purchased in July is having trouble with my iPod shuffle. I recently updated the iPod and synced it to this computer (it was previously used on a PC) and everything seemed fine. Today, I've been trying to clear out songs, and a few weird things have been happening:

1) When I try to listen to a song from the iPod (double clicking on a song in the playlist window or hitting the play button with a song highlighted) nothing happens.

2) If I try to get info, iTunes says "Waiting for iPod..." and about ten seconds later the info pops up.

3) After the info comes up, I can play a song normally. I can interrupt it and switch to another track or two, but after that, I get a beach ball and there's a ten second delay.

I should note that this iPod worked flawlessly (no delays, and I had never seen a "Waiting for iPod.." message) when it was synced to my PC.

I am running an up-to-date version of iTunes, and OS 10.5.8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The OS update may not have applied correctly. As long as the music you have on the iPod is also on the computer, as well as any files saved on it in disk mode, have you considered restoring the iPod so iTunes can load a fresh copy of the iPod firmware?

apple.mare

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
Got a solution

A solution that worked for my iPod is : I marked the songs or the playlist that I wanted to transfer to iPod, then I'd get the 'waiting for iPod' loop, and in that instant I'd hit mount iPod in previously opened disk utility, and transfering of songs would start instantly. When that finishes, voila, music is on the iPod and you can enjoy.

------------------------------

apple.mare@yahoo.com

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm not 100% sure but I think that iPods setup with a PC and Mac have some sort of different base file system format. All in all, I'm pretty sure that your iPod is formatted for a PC which is causing the issues with your Mac. A simple restore should fix this but you will want to be sure to transfer all of your music files from your PC to your Mac before doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.