Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Hi all. I've checked the FAQs and sticky threads, but I can't find an answer to this. Sorry if it's been posted before.

Why is it when I dock my iPhone (3GS), I can't see it as a 16GB disk? Every other iPod-family device I've had would let you treat it as an external hard drive. I like the idea of being able to snap pictures and videos and move them right into my mac for editing. I thought this would be possible, because last year my friend loaned me his older iPhone, and all I had to do to get the pictures was plug in a USB cable and transfer them to my PC.

What's the deal here? Why can I do this on an older iPhone, but not my 3GS? And why would Apple not offer a feature that's been a selling point for the iPod line since day 1? Or, am I just doing it wrong? (not impossible)

randyc

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
As far as I know iPhones and iPod touches cannot be used as external disks. On a Mac you can use iPhoto to get pictures from your phone. On Windows I believe it should just detect it as a camera but I don't really know.

There are apps that can let you use your iPhone as a wifi storage device but you can't access any of the files outside of the app's folder it creates for you.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
As far as I know iPhones and iPod touches cannot be used as external disks. On a Mac you can use iPhoto to get pictures from your phone. On Windows I believe it should just detect it as a camera but I don't really know.

There are apps that can let you use your iPhone as a wifi storage device but you can't access any of the files outside of the app's folder it creates for you.

I can live with that, but how can I import the video files? iMovie? I plan on using the iPhone as a quick-and-dirty video podcast recorder.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Hi all. I've checked the FAQs and sticky threads, but I can't find an answer to this. Sorry if it's been posted before.

Why is it when I dock my iPhone (3GS), I can't see it as a 16GB disk? Every other iPod-family device I've had would let you treat it as an external hard drive. I like the idea of being able to snap pictures and videos and move them right into my mac for editing. I thought this would be possible, because last year my friend loaned me his older iPhone, and all I had to do to get the pictures was plug in a USB cable and transfer them to my PC.

What's the deal here? Why can I do this on an older iPhone, but not my 3GS? And why would Apple not offer a feature that's been a selling point for the iPod line since day 1? Or, am I just doing it wrong? (not impossible)

I can live with that, but how can I import the video files? iMovie? I plan on using the iPhone as a quick-and-dirty video podcast recorder.

Unfortunately the iPhone was never able to be used as an external disk by default. You can use tools like Diskaid, etc to do what you want.

As for importing movies from my 3gs, I use iPhoto just like for pics. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.