Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodyroby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
My hard drive crashed after about a year and a half. So I bought a new one and installed it myself. When I turn on my mac now and hold C with the install disk in the drive it just spins for a while below the apple and then goes to the gray please restart your computer screen. Can anyone tell me what to do?

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
It should work if you hold the option key. You need to format the new drive from disk utility and then you should be good to go!

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
My hard drive crashed after about a year and a half. So I bought a new one and installed it myself. When I turn on my mac now and hold C with the install disk in the drive it just spins for a while below the apple and then goes to the gray please restart your computer screen. Can anyone tell me what to do?

That's a kernel panic. What OS are you running? Leopard? Snow Leopard?

What model of MBP is it? I.e. is it an early 2008 MBP? 15", 17"?

One thing you can try is reset the PRAM by powering off the MBP, hold down cmd-option-p-r keys then power on while keeping the keys pressed until you hear the startup sound a second time at power-on. Then try another DVD boot.

If that doesn't help, you might be able to boot into diagnostics by holding down the 'd' key with the Install DVD (if 10.5.4 or earlier) or Applications Install #2 disc (if 10.5.5 or later) inserted then powering on.

Hopefully it's something minor like needing a PRAM reset, because if that doesn't do it, you may need to open up the MBP again as there may be a cable not making full contact somewhere. See what other folks thinks first before opening it up, though, to possibly save yourself some digging inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.