Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
I have a MacBook Pro with two Nvidia cards but my bootcamp'd Windows 7 can't find directX and I can't install it (well, I can, but it can't be found). I'm running Leopard 10.5.8

Any help would be appreciated, I bootcamp'd to play games and now I can't :mad:

Resso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
I've already downloaded and installed the DirectX from August 2009, but it still says the same "can't make DirectX file" or something like that error (right now, I'm on the leopard partition, I'll check the right text in a minute)

The error comes from the Requiem:Bloodymare game, but I doubt it's the cause of the problem, because when I run the rating program, everything is around 5 or 6, but the video parts stay at 1... This is too ambigous, give me 5 minutes, I'll edit this post with the right info...

EDIT:

The correct message is: "DirectX Graphics system Creation Failed"

The Windows Experience Index is as follows:

Processor: 6.4
Memory (RAM): 5.9
Graphics: 1.0
Gaming graphics: 1.0
Primary hard disk: 5.8

WTF?

EDIT2:

I've seen I'm not the only one, and I'm just thinking it could be due to having two video cards in one laptop, and bootcamp somehow not knowing how to recognize the one I want to use. Does anyone know one of these?:

a) how to disable one graphics card from Leopard
b) how to enable the use of two video cards for bootcamp
c) ... mind loop... If I remember I'll post it haha

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
Neither the 9400M or 9600M GT should give you a score of 1.0 for your WEI. That score makes me think Windows isn't seeing your graphics cards. Or that you need to update your WEI. I would make sure you have proper Windows 7 graphics drivers installed for your graphics cards.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
You're getting that error when installing the latest DirectX? Or when you're running a certain game, or does it happen with any game?

Resso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Neither the 9400M or 9600M GT should give you a score of 1.0 for your WEI. That score makes me think Windows isn't seeing your graphics cards. Or that you need to update your WEI. I would make sure you have proper Windows 7 graphics drivers installed for your graphics cards.

I just checked the device manager and in Display, the only thing appearing is a regular VGA adaptor (9400M and 9600M GT are missing). I installed the drivers from the BootCamp installer of my Leopard DVD...

And to the other poster, the message appears when trying to launch Requiem, but as we're seeing, this isn't a problem with the game itself, but with windows not recognizing my video cards... I can't even turn Aero on haha

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Windows 7 installs a generic SVGA driver, then an Nvidia one from Windows Update. The boot camp installer tries to install it's version but after restart you're back to the generic SVGA driver.

Go to Nvidia's website and download the Geoforce 9M drivers for Windows 7. Right click and run as administrator and on restart you'll have Aero and Directx.

Resso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Windows 7 installs a generic SVGA driver, then an Nvidia one from Windows Update. The boot camp installer tries to install it's version but after restart you're back to the generic SVGA driver.

Go to Nvidia's website and download the Geoforce 9M drivers for Windows 7. Right click and run as administrator and on restart you'll have Aero and Directx.

I tried with the notebook Gforce 9M for Windows 7 64bit notebook drivers and I got this message:

"The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit"

=/ Any more ideas?

Resso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
What I had to do on my July 2008 MacBook Pro was go into the disk, find the drivers folder, then the nVidia folder, and select like "nvidiamobilex64" or something like that and then it worked flawlessly.

*trying*

EDIT: HELL YEAH! IT WORKED!! Thanks to this guy in another thread haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.