Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I backed up my iTunes Music folder before I formatted my hard drive. I then copied that folder back onto the newly formatted hard drive along with music that was not previously on the computer. The new music that I copied created a multitude of copies and also my playlists though the songs were in there they had exclamation points due to the fact that iTunes didn't know where the music was.
I still have the original iTunes music folder.
If I delete all the music in iTunes and iTunes folder and then copy my backed up copy of my iTunes music folder should I expect to have all my playlists and music back that way it was before I formatted my hard drive?
Any tips to get it back the way it was would be appreciated.
Thank you for looking.

pkorisa

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Naples, FL. USA
I backed up my iTunes Music folder before I formatted my hard drive. I then copied that folder back onto the newly formatted hard drive along with music that was not previously on the computer. The new music that I copied created a multitude of copies and also my playlists though the songs were in there they had exclamation points due to the fact that iTunes didn't know where the music was.
I still have the original iTunes music folder.
If I delete all the music in iTunes and iTunes folder and then copy my backed up copy of my iTunes music folder should I expect to have all my playlists and music back that way it was before I formatted my hard drive?
Any tips to get it back the way it was would be appreciated.
Thank you for looking.

There are two folders that you MUST save and copy back to your newly formatted drive. First, the iTunes library files in the Music (or My Music)/ iTunes folder; 2) the FOLDER where you are letting iTunes keep/manage all music files.

Also, for this to work, you should have both of the options Keep iTUnes Media Folder Organized and Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library CHECKED in Edit/Preferences/ Advanced in iTunes.

Hope this helps.
PKM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.