Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fouts803

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
I just got a used apple tv. It did not come with a remote so I am using one for my macbook. When I start ATV the language choices pop up. When I use my remote the ATV responds with a blink of the white light but will not let me select anything. I synced the remote to the ATV it gave me the appropriate symbol but still nothing.

johnkountz

Nov 3, 2007
USA
No idea why your remote is not working, have you verified it works with your Mac?

Maybe power cycle your ATV, then try the pairing sequence again.

You can also press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons for 6 seconds to pair Apple TV and the remote.

When you’ve successfully paired your Apple Remote, Apple TV displays a chainlink () symbol above a picture of a remote in the setting menu. Apple TV now works only with the paired remote.​

fouts803

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
Hi John!

Yeah, it works with my mac!
I have tried everything it seems, unpairing and pairing. I get the symbol that pops up for both! I have powered down and repeated! When I try to use the remote the Atv blinks the white light so it recognizes it but won't do anything. I can bring up the resolution screen but I can't select anything. I can only stare at the select your language screen.

fouts803

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
Aaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhh

Ok, so I went out and bought a new apple remote today. I still can't get past the select your language screen. So frustrating......... Any other ideas??????

cactusgary

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
az
Apple TV not responding to remote

I just got a used apple tv. It did not come with a remote so I am using one for my macbook. When I start ATV the language choices pop up. When I use my remote the ATV responds with a blink of the white light but will not let me select anything. I synced the remote to the ATV it gave me the appropriate symbol but still nothing.

They look the same - but are different functionally - as far as I can see.

My Mac remote will not work with my ATV and vice versa.

You will have to purchase a remote

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
This is not a remote problem itself, but rather a problem with the IR driver on your AppleTV.
Most probably it was hacked before and the guy somehow screwed it up.

You basically need to reinstall the firmware on your ATV properly and you should be good to go.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
If you can't force the Apple TV to pair/unlock with the remote, you may have to take it to a local Apple store to have them do a factory software reset on it (something they should be able to do in-store while you wait, though at this time of year you may be in for a long wait...!).

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
If you can't force the Apple TV to pair/unlock with the remote, you may have to take it to a local Apple store to have them do a factory software reset on it (something they should be able to do in-store while you wait, though at this time of year you may be in for a long wait...!).

You can set an appointment online for your visit before you to the the Apple store so you really won't have to wait. Just register online for an appointment as much as 72 hours into the future, then check in when you get there and you wait maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.