Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Short summary of the problem:

Yesterday I sent 5 people an MMS. 2 of the 5 texted me back saying my phone number showed as a 909 (San Bernardino) area code. My area code is 949 (so cal). They are both on verizon. The number on their phones was COMPLETELY different than my current number. AT&T and Apple said I am the only one with this problem. My phone is jailbroken.

Now today, my girlfriend receieved an MMS from her mom which came from a 610 (Pennysylvania) area code, while she too has a 949 (so cal) area code. In both cases, all 10 digits were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Her phone is not jailbroken.

Has ANYONE EVER heard of this problem? (Ive been having similar problems with MMS since the 26th and have gotten a new phone, new sim card, and have been on all firmwares from 3.0 - 3.1.2 clean and jailbroken.)

I need help...

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
If you're not using a callback number, it's a problem with your carrier. I've seen this problem happen on many devices before ( never to me personally ), and it's always a problem with the carrier. I know you already called AT&T, and they'll just give you the run around, but that's what it is. Sorry mate.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
SAME THING happened to me yesterday. My brother sent me an MMS text but it came from a different number. I was then texting back and forth with the wrong number trying to figure out who it was until my brother asked me if I had gotten his MMS.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
If you're not using a callback number, it's a problem with your carrier. I've seen this problem happen on many devices before ( never to me personally ), and it's always a problem with the carrier. I know you already called AT&T, and they'll just give you the run around, but that's what it is. Sorry mate.

So are you saying no matter what I do, AT&T / Apple cant do anything? This just has to somehow iron itself out?

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Well it only happened to me once. Unless more people come forward and complain to AT&T I don't think they'll do anything to try and fix it. Who knows, maybe this problem only happens during peak traffic times.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Well it only happened to me once. Unless more people come forward and complain to AT&T I don't think they'll do anything to try and fix it. Who knows, maybe this problem only happens during peak traffic times.

Even so it shouldnt ever happen because this could definitely cause people problems.

BeverlyMartin

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
The same thing has happened to my daughter. She's in college and sends me A LOT of texts. Sunday night, I got a MMS from her that appeared to be coming from an Orange County, CA number. (Her phone has a WA state number.) It happened again Monday, but with a different phone number. So far this has happened only twice.
She hasn't yet contacted AT&T customer service. She plans to see if it continues before she carves out time in her day to sit on hold with customer service or visit the store.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
AT&T won't get you very far. They'll just say to reset network settings and they'll call you back. I've been calling AT&T for the past 3 weeks and they have all my problems on file. The more details I can get (from other people), the better.

Bev - What was the area code and first 3 digits of the phone number that the mms came from? Also, were either of your phones jailbroken?

BeverlyMartin

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
The Sunday text came from area code 949. Yesterday's was from 425.
Her phone is not jailbroken. We both have 3GS iPhones that are just a few weeks old.

wallstreet

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2005
California
Let me share my experiences! My girlfriend sent me an mms last night from her iPhone to mine and it sent from a random (707) area code. Her area code is (559). I sent her a mms and it came from a (415) area code. My area code, (209). Sent another mms to my buddy, who also has an iPhone and it sent to him also from a (415) area code. He sent his brother a mms message from his iPhone and it sent from a (714), his home area code is also (209). None of our iPhones are jailbroken, my phone has the newest carrier update and has 3.1.2 iPhone software. There's do not. Something seems fishy here!

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Thanks guys. Now I know this isn't limited to just 3G phones. It's not limited to jailboken phones either. And it's on the latest firmware. This is all helping a lot.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
didn't see this when I posted my thread earlier today.

So you're definitely not alone, and it's not only on jailbroken phones.

All phones and all firmwares. I've been having mms and SMS problems since the 26th. This random number one just came up though. I've had problems on 3.0 - 3.1.2. I even had a big SMS problem on a 100% clean install of 3.0.1. Of course AT&T won't claim it to be their fault but when you have a problem on all firmwares, clean phones, etc... It's definitely not apples problem.

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
to those that are having this problem: have you received messages from iChat or Google Voice? In the other thread, there was another person that stated the problem started after getting messaged from Google Voice. My wife's problem started today after I texted her through iChat. Could be coincidence, or not. We need more data.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
to those that are having this problem: have you received messages from iChat or Google Voice? In the other thread, there was another person that stated the problem started after getting messaged from Google Voice. My wife's problem started today after I texted her through iChat. Could be coincidence, or not. We need more data.

I have google voice, thats interesting though...HOWEVER, my girlfriends mom and my girlfriend DO NOT have google voice and they had the problem.

I have some interesting news. My girlfriend just asked an apple genius and he said that its an AT&T problem and it has happened to him MULTIPLE times. While he isnt really different from any of us, odds are he has a non JB phone with updated firmware and carrier so CLEARLY this is a big problem. I really want to get this fixed...

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
I have google voice, thats interesting though...HOWEVER, my girlfriends mom and my girlfriend DO NOT have google voice and they had the problem.

I have some interesting news. My girlfriend just asked an apple genius and he said that its an AT&T problem and it has happened to him MULTIPLE times. While he isnt really different from any of us, odds are he has a non JB phone with updated firmware and carrier so CLEARLY this is a big problem. I really want to get this fixed...

My wife doesn't have Google Voice (nor does she use iChat) either. It started after I messaged her through iChat. Could your mom and girlfriend's problem started after someone messaged them through Google Voice/iChat?

This is a problem, especially since the random numbers are real live people. My number and your number could be showing up as "From" numbers on random people's phones. Who knows?

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
My wife doesn't have Google Voice (nor does she use iChat) either. It started after I messaged her through iChat. Could your mom and girlfriend's problem started after someone messaged them through Google Voice/iChat?

This is a problem, especially since the random numbers are real live people. My number and your number could be showing up as "From" numbers on random people's phones. Who knows?

Doubt it. Her mom is very computer illiterate. And that's very true. This is obviously a security risk relating to AT&T. This definitely should not be happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.