Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorff1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Easy now guys, I just bought one of the new iMacs. It arrived a couple days ago and i've gone through the arduous process up transferring software from my laptop. Everything is installing fine apart from Final Cut Studio. Initially it installed fine and would open up, although it had a couple of issues reading certain basic file types. (avi, m2v, mov). I thought id leave it til this morning....then i added some updates from the internet.

I open Final Cut and the second it goes beyond the initial loading screen...it cuts out and says "Error: Out of Memory" Which is ludicrous seeing as ive got just over 4GB Ram

Having read the forums it seems that there are issues between snow leopard and FCS....but i havent come across anyone who has this problem. Its annoying as i saved up and bought this because i was tired of editing film and motion graphics on a 13" laptop....now i cant even use it for what i bought it for! : (

Please help!...and thanks

Cheers,

Pete

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I thought id leave it til this morning....then i added some updates from the internet.

Which updates?

I open Final Cut and the second it goes beyond the initial loading screen...it cuts out and says "Error: Out of Memory" Which is ludicrous seeing as ive got just over 950gb left on my hard drive. Anyone got any suggestions?

Memory in this context is referring to RAM and not hard drive space. In fact the vast majority of times you see something referring to memory it is talking about RAM.

Dorff1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Oh yeah, pardon my use of lingo, im not the most technically literate person and havent slept for a long time:confused:. Although i know the difference between the two. ill change it to how it should

Regarding the updates, they're just updates. I clcked on software updates...and then it installed them. I had a closer look and it doesnt give anything specific. There was one for Compressor 3.5, and then one for Final Cut Pro. It doesnt go into anymore detail than that.

Ive reinstalled it completely....and its still doing it. Theres probably a simple solution....but im out of ideas.

Error: Out of Memory! Grrrrgh!

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
I would recommend to google the version of Final Cut and determine which version of quicktime was designed to be used with it. Since Snow Leopard redesigned Quicktime and updated to the new quicktime X, it is possible that it is affecting Final Cut's ability to operate.

I have snow leopard and am running final cut 6 (not the newest Final Cut 7) and I made sure I maintained the old quicktime 7. I have not had any problems.

So...
1. Figure out what quicktime was designed to work with final cut 5
2. Try to find and download that version.
3. Report back with results

Hopefully, this helps.

Dorff1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Definitely will do that mate, thanks. That makes a fair bit of sense aswell because alot of the video i could not import into FCP, would also not play on Quicktime X.

Cheers for your help mate, will leave feedback.

Peace

Dorff1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Quicktime 7 is what i had on my laptop with leopard, and that should suffice apparently. Ive downloaded it but it doesn't let me install it as 'Quicktime X is already installed'! This cannot be uninstalled as far as i can tell....so for now i think the best course of action is to wait and see what updates they offer...as it appears everyone is having an array of issues with FCS and SL.

Thanks for trying

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
Ok lets not give up too fast. I have both Quicktime 7 and quicktime x installed. My Quicktime 7 is actually installed under Applications/Utilities/Quicktime 7. Do you have the snow leopard disc that came with your computer or access to a snow leopard install disk? If you do then the process should be pretty straightforward. Simply place the disk in your drive, wait for it to mount, and you should see QT7 on the disk with an option to install somewhere in an "optional installs" (or something similar) folder. Look at the second paragraph of this page for more detailed instructions. http://www.brighthub.com/computing/mac-platform/articles/48163.aspx

And please let me know if this helps you!

T

jaxmcg

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
hey dorff, ive got a similar problem..i saved and saved for this new 27' iMac just so i could edit on it and now im having issues!

takashmoney, you say you have FCP6 and SL installed together? Please help me..im at my wits end. I cant for the life of me get my final cut studio 2 (not 3) installed!

Is fcp 6 the same as fcs 2?

every time i try to install, the box will open for which programs i'd like to install and everything else seems to want to work except he FCP says "SKIP" next to it.. the pic of my screen is below..

anybody have any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-12-01 at 4.50.08 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-12-01 at 4.50.08 PM.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 584

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
Ok. Here we go.

FCP6 is one of several programs bundled in the FCS2 package.

I do have FCP6 running without problems on Snow Leopard, however, I had FCP6 installed on Leopard and then did an upgrade to SL. Therefore, I never experienced what it is like to try to install FCP on a fresh copy of Snow Leopard.

Having said that, I think your problems are stemming from the lack of Quicktime 7 installed (SL comes with the new Quicktime X). Before you try to install any of Final Cut Studio, put in the Snow Leopard Restore disk that came with your new imac. It may have Quicktime 7 on it as an option to install. If it does then great! Install QT7 then proceed to try to install Final Cut. I do not think there will be any problems from then on.

If the restore disk does not have QT7, then you will need to get your hands on another Snow Leopard Disk (like the one they sell for $29). This I know has QT7. Try this and report back if you still have problems.

hope this works

jaxmcg

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
hmm.... i bought the mac with SL already installed (im pretty sure i did atleast, is there a way i can check? sorry im 1 week into the mac world) No disks were included.

i just ran a spotlight search for quicktime on my mac and it says i already have version 10.0 installed.. that sounds different that Quick time 7.

Should i just search out quick time 7 and install that??

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Give it a try anyway though. There are two Quicktimes now - Quicktime X and the older Quicktime 7 that can be installed if needed for backwards compatibility.

jaxmcg

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Give it a try anyway though. There are two Quicktimes now - Quicktime X and the older Quicktime 7 that can be installed if needed for backwards compatibility.

i tried downloading straight off apple.com but like FCP6 my hardware "does not require this install" prob because i already have the quick time X installed.
I wonder if i deleted quick time X and installed quick time 7, would that give me alot of problems? Or is there anyway i can have them both..

thanks for helping danimal and takashmoney :cool:

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
hmm.... i bought the mac with SL already installed (im pretty sure i did atleast, is there a way i can check? sorry im 1 week into the mac world) No disks were included.

Did you buy it used? Discs are always included with new systems. Frankly, they should always come with used systems too.

To tell what version of OS you are running, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner and chose "About This Mac". A window will pop up with the version that looks like this; 'Version 10.5.8'.

jaxmcg

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
hey guys.. just wanted to let you know i got to the bottom of my issue :D

i found my OSX and application DVD's and what i had to do was a complete erase of everything on my internal hard drive. It turns out once you've had any sort of final cut installed it leaves some remnants of FC files somewhere in your mac. (some that even FinalCut Remover cant take away) So after a successful erase of everything i was able to install Final Cut studio 6 no problems!!

So there you have it folks, FCP6 will in fact run on 10.6.2 SL operating Macs. yay! Thanks for all your advice and help :cool:

salcombeweb

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
Fcp 5

Ok, so let me tell you my story. I finally decided to ditch my pay as you go mobile and get myself a brand new iphone 4. The phone works fine, but this still turned out to be a very expensive decision. So I get my new iphone and plug it into my hi spec intel core duo desktop mac, i'm running 5gb of RAM and 2x 2,66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors.

An error message pops up telling me my phone isn't recognised by my operating system, so I do a bit of hunting around on forums and find out the new iphone 4 will only work on Snow Leopard. I was running Tiger.

I look on the apple store and find out their new operating system package (Snow Leopard) is going to set me back so £100's. At this point i'm thinking of sending the phone back.

I do a bit more hunting around on internet forums and discover that Apple are in fact lying to their customers. If you've bought an iphone 4 you don't need to buy the new Snow Leopard software bundle (inc iworks, imovie etc.), you can in fact buy the operating system as a stand alone for about £25.

Fantastic, I place my order and await it's arrival. It arrives, I install and everything seems ok. Until I try to print a client work on My Epson Stylus Pro 7800 large format printer, Snow Leopard has wiped all my drivers and finding a compatible one on the net took me days. I lost a lot of money to that client.

I used to be a video editor by trade, so I had Final Cut Studio 1 installed on my system. I had moved away from this line of work and into web design. But yesterday I needed to do a little video editing, so I went to open up FCP 5 and you guessed it, it crashed on opening.

Now reading the last post here am I right in believing the minimum FCP that will work on Snow Leopard is Final Cut Studio 2?

I have Final Cut Studio 1, which is now totally useless, I have no interest in upgrading to the new version because I don;t work in this field anymore, but now the piece of software I bough only 4 years ago for nearly £800 is totally useless!

I feel well and truly ripped off! Is there any way to get Final Cut Studio 1 working on Snow Leopard? There surely must be a law against this kind of practice. If I spent £800 on a new mountain bike I would expect it to work a little longer than 4 years. £800 is not a disposable amount of money to spend.

Apple are moving in the direction of Microsoft fast! You will lose your loyal customers if you continue in this way.

I'm already starting to think about migrating to Windows when I do my next big hardware upgrade.:mad:

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
salcombeweb, my FCP 5.1.4 from FCS 1 seems to be working fine. I don't do any heavy work, just to note. Also Motion, Compressor, and Sound Track Pro seem to be working OK. I don't recall using DVD Studio Pro since upgrading to Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.