Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nspace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
My powerbook is almost here and I want to get a sleeve for it and probably a laptop backpack. I would purchase online from some of the great companies I have seen posted here but I would like to avoid it, as I would get hit with duty coming over the boarder.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of any good stores that sell powerbook accessories in the Toronto/Mississauga area or around there. I am interested in a Crumpler bag right now and I know I can get those from Storeos, but I am open to other solutions for the backpack too.

I know of a couple stores downtown Toronto around the spadina area that sell apple and apple related products, but I have no idea if they sell a good selection of products.

If anyone has any recommendations that would be great!

Btw, if FedEx has an estimated delivery date, are they usualy pretty accurate about it? My PB left from Winnipeg to Mississauga on Friday. It has not checked into the Mississauga depot yet, I imagine it will first thing Monday morning. I am wondering if I should expect it tomorrow or Tuesday when which is when FedEx estimates.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Universities generally do a good job, so try U of T. I've never been there for Apple stuff, but they may be quite good. There's also an Apple retailer in the downtown area. Actually, its on or near Broadview and queen st, or something like that. Forgot the name.

If you live in Etobicoke, there's a store there called Simmply Macs (http://www.simmplymacs.com). The store near Queen and Broadview is probably better, but I forgot the frickin name! I saw an advert for their store in one of those free newspapers.

EDIT: Nevermind, the store is on Queen St (near Broadview, if I remember correctly) and is called Carbon Computing. Google it, and I'm sure you'll find it.

Personally, I like carrying around my PB in a backpack because the backpack is soooo dual-purpose. I can use it for school, for going on overnight trips, or for carrying around my laptop with some clothes in it or something. Personally, I would get a backpack at Mountain Equipment Co-op -- the one that costs $54. Forgot the specific name, but its beautiful AND it has a mesh screen at the front for carrying wet clothes and shoes and such. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Okay, Carbon Computers = http://www.carboncomputing.com, though after looking at your location, the other store may be just as good. Anyway, Carbon computing is a very good store. I still recommend going to the U of T store. :)

Here's a picture of the backpack I want. Its from MEC, and its $56, not $54 like I said before:

Attachments

• MEC Darwin.jpg
    MEC Darwin.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 149

Nspace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I ended up going downtown Toronto this morning, and hit up CSC, Computer Systems Centre, and I bought a Kensington Saddlebag Sport:

http://www.kensington.com/html/3208.html

I really like it thus far, lots of compartments and space, and the suspended pouch for the laptop is clever.

I was wondering if most people buy one of those sleave things and use that in combination with a backpack or carrying case? Or should the built in sleeve that the laptop goes into be enough?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.