Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
dafootballer
macrumors member

Modern Warfare 2 PORTED TO MAC

http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1976

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is the latest game from Infinity Ward released on November 10th 2009

Quote:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (previously marketed as simply Modern Warfare 2) is a first-person shooter video game developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. The game was officially announced on February 11, 2009. It is the sixth installment of the Call of Duty series, and the direct sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, continuing along the same storyline.

More info:
Official Website: http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/
Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Warfare_2

Status: Green - playable on nvidia & ATI gfx chips (what was tested)

Install Notes:

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 Wineskin Wrapper (tahnks to doh123 )

Extract your version:
- Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-DE (if you installed Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 on a German Windows OS)
- Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-EN (if you installed Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 on a English/US Windows OS Version)

1) Unzip your version of Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-XX.zip
2) Right click - show contents
3) Follow along the red marks (Contents/Resources/drive_c)
4) Copy your content from Call Of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 (Activision folder) into
a) for US/ENG Windows Version - Program Files
b) for German Windows Version - Programme
5) Start the Game

Known Issues:
- trying to change the setting quits the game - so default only -
- will need further testen - just wanted to make this available to everyone asap -

What was tested so far:
Single Player - works
Special Ops - Single Player works
it also tries to connect online - but I dont have a cd key to test it ... so doubt Multiplay is working

Last edited by kainjow; Nov 30, 2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: MR doesn't have a hide feature
dafootballer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Dagless
macrumors Core

Is this legal? (genuine question, I don't follow this kind of thing but I'm sure I haven't seen any announcements about a port from Activision)
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:00 PM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

just trying to get members to sign up
dukebound85 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:01 PM   #4
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi View Post
Is this legal? (genuine question, I don't follow this kind of thing but I'm sure I haven't seen any announcements about a port from Activision)
if you're not paying for it probably not, granted i didn't really read the original post...
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:18 PM   #5
gavriels
macrumors newbie

Quote:
No, it's not. Redistribution of the Cider wrapper violates the Cider Technology License agreement. There's a good chance that other companies licenses are also being violated by this kind of redistribution.
gavriels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
dafootballer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavriels View Post
No, it's not. Redistribution of the Cider wrapper violates the Cider Technology License agreement. There's a good chance that other companies licenses are also being violated by this kind of redistribution.
its perfectly legal we do not use that old tech from Transgaming anymore we use the wineskin wrapper programed by our very own doh123, some older ports do, but this one does not

The wrapper simply works by transforming the dlls, exes, etc into one bundle that Intel Macs can play in a .app form you need the original MW2 files but we provide you with the software to use it.

i also apologize for having the thread closed thats why i posted the info on here we dont want people just leeching our forums without signing up
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:00 PM   #7
russell89
macrumors newbie

thanks! does this work properly?
russell89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Creative One
macrumors 6502

Is this even allowed on the forums?
Creative One is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Wotan31
Banned

Quote:
Is this legal? (genuine question, I don't follow this kind of thing but I'm sure I haven't seen any announcements about a port
ZOMG you are one severely paranoid human. The MPAA and RIAA have got you quivering in your boots, haven't they. I can just picture you cowering in a corner as you posted this question. After a cool announcement like this, the very first question in your mind is "Is this legal?" You've been brainwashed by the media industry to believe that everything that isn't specifically legalized by them, is by default, illegal. The media industry is the great giver, and the great taker away, aren't they? It's quite sad and pathetic actually, that this is your thought process.

Last edited by Wotan31; Dec 8, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Wotan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotan31 View Post
ZOMG you are one severely paranoid human. The MPAA and RIAA have got you quivering in your boots, haven't they. I can just picture you cowering in a corner as you posted this question. After a cool announcement like this, the very first question in your mind is "Is this legal?" You've been brainwashed by the media industry to believe that everything that isn't specifically legalized by them, is by default, illegal. The media industry is the great giver, and the great taker away, aren't they? It's quite sad and pathetic actually, that this is your thought process.
No wonder you're in time out with posts like this.
I'm not paranoid over it, you do know that forums have been shut down for distributing pirated games, right? And given that there has been no announcement for an official OSX port that could (could, which is why I asked) be an illegal move. The last thing I want is for MR to face legal action, I don't care much about the forum the OP keeps spamming.

Last edited by Dagless; Dec 9, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:37 PM   #11
awmt102
macrumors newbie

I bought Modern Warfare 2 today and have downloaded the wrapper. However having installed the DVD contents using crossover games it appears I have installed Steam and there is no sign of the "Activision" folder mentioned in the installation instructions - am I missing an important step to somehow extract the game from steam? or do I just have the wrong version of the game?

Cheers

Andy
awmt102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:21 AM   #12
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Depends on who you ask. Apple -- MUST -- believe that this sort of thing is illegal, otherwise they would have to allow other hardware manufacturers to run OS X on their non-Apple hardware.

This kind of running a Windows software through emulation/API-translation layers is somehow very similar. The only real difference is that game developers have an interest in selling as many copies of their games as possible, and games running in WINE do not hurt their sales.

Microsoft, on the other hand, probably could do a lot about this if they wanted to - after all, WINE implements the Windows API on foreign operating systems, and that, in all likelihood, infringes on a ton of Microsoft patents. It's just that Microsoft, unlike Apple, usually does not care about this sort of thing (unless it begins to really hurt their business, of course - but the amount of users using things like WINE is tiny).
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:20 AM   #13
angusslo
macrumors regular

I have no problems at all with cider port. maybe it runs a little bit slow at high settings that it would run on a simmilar PC but that may be cider port cause. I can't however wait for official MAC version.

the rig is in the sign

MBP 15" mid 2009 2.66GHZ selling - http://tinyurl.com/3zgxww6
angusslo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 01:28 PM   #14
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusslo View Post
I have no problems at all with cider port. maybe it runs a little bit slow at high settings that it would run on a simmilar PC but that may be cider port cause. I can't however wait for official MAC version.

the rig is in the sign
Explain how you run this game in Cider without Steam?
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:55 PM   #15
dafootballer
macrumors member

you get a non steam version... or you download steam through the porting teams website and play

and yes we have steam ported
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:07 PM   #16
dafootballer
macrumors member

we are only doing a service to the mac community thought this would be good news to most

no we do not provide the full game only the wrappers (that use wine) to port out games you have to own the full game to put in your windows files for it work
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:21 PM   #17
lucifiel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafootballer View Post
we are only doing a service to the mac community thought this would be good news to most

no we do not provide the full game only the wrappers (that use wine) to port out games you have to own the full game to put in your windows files for it work
ignoring the hostilities, great work and I might give this a shot. hah.
lucifiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:22 PM   #18
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Cool. But it's rather sad that you have to register to view that thread LOL.

I rather wait for an official port (since all COD games so far made by Infinity Ward have been ported to the Mac)...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:04 PM   #19
dafootballer
macrumors member

well of course we would all love to see official ports of our games someday i hope they will... they were a bit late last time
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:28 AM   #20
JollyRogers
macrumors regular

Great news. Won't create an account to view the thread however even though I would like to. Would like to see one for Dragon Ages: Origins also which I have running under wine/crossover with 1 minor glitch. Are you guys using the wine wrapper that Doh has been working on? Need to give his wrapper a try I think.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:12 AM   #21
dafootballer
macrumors member

yeah we use the wineskin wrapper made by doh

there is a request for dragon age origins

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=46420

it works in wine you could give it a shot by porting it yourself or i could try it later
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:25 PM   #22
healeydave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post

I rather wait for an official port (since all COD games so far made by Infinity Ward have been ported to the Mac)...
Its worse than that, I registered and still couldn't read the thread, they have some naff ritual type system going on where-by you have to jump through hoops before you can even read some sections.

Needless to say, I couldn't be arsed.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:43 PM   #23
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post

How's that going to work without Steam? The game heavily relies on Steam. How are people running it in Cider without Steam anyway?
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:47 PM   #24
carlosftapia
macrumors newbie

question

Download where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafootballer View Post
http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1976

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is the latest game from Infinity Ward released on November 10th 2009

Quote:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (previously marketed as simply Modern Warfare 2) is a first-person shooter video game developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. The game was officially announced on February 11, 2009. It is the sixth installment of the Call of Duty series, and the direct sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, continuing along the same storyline.

More info:
Official Website: http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/
Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Warfare_2

Status: Green - playable on nvidia & ATI gfx chips (what was tested)

Install Notes:

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 Wineskin Wrapper (tahnks to doh123 )

Extract your version:
- Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-DE (if you installed Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 on a German Windows OS)
- Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-EN (if you installed Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 on a English/US Windows OS Version)

1) Unzip your version of Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-XX.zip
2) Right click - show contents
3) Follow along the red marks (Contents/Resources/drive_c)
4) Copy your content from Call Of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 (Activision folder) into
a) for US/ENG Windows Version - Program Files
b) for German Windows Version - Programme
5) Start the Game

Known Issues:
- trying to change the setting quits the game - so default only -
- will need further testen - just wanted to make this available to everyone asap -

Notes:
Works with the
HIDE: ON:
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message

What was tested so far:
Single Player - works
Special Ops - Single Player works
it also tries to connect online - but I dont have a cd key to test it ... so doubt Multiplay is working

Download
Wrapper:
HIDE: ON:
You need to reply to this topic before you can view the hidden message
carlosftapia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:00 PM   #25
neckarb
macrumors regular

Thanks
neckarb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games