Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dafootballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1976

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is the latest game from Infinity Ward released on November 10th 2009

Quote:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (previously marketed as simply Modern Warfare 2) is a first-person shooter video game developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. The game was officially announced on February 11, 2009. It is the sixth installment of the Call of Duty series, and the direct sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, continuing along the same storyline.

More info:
Official Website: http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/
Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Warfare_2

Status: Green - playable on nvidia & ATI gfx chips (what was tested)

Install Notes:

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 Wineskin Wrapper (tahnks to doh123 )

Extract your version:
- Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-DE (if you installed Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 on a German Windows OS)
- Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-EN (if you installed Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 on a English/US Windows OS Version)

1) Unzip your version of Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2-XX.zip
2) Right click - show contents
3) Follow along the red marks (Contents/Resources/drive_c)
4) Copy your content from Call Of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 (Activision folder) into
a) for US/ENG Windows Version - Program Files
b) for German Windows Version - Programme
5) Start the Game

Known Issues:
- trying to change the setting quits the game - so default only -
- will need further testen - just wanted to make this available to everyone asap -

What was tested so far:
Single Player - works
Special Ops - Single Player works
it also tries to connect online - but I dont have a cd key to test it ... so doubt Multiplay is working

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Is this legal? (genuine question, I don't follow this kind of thing but I'm sure I haven't seen any announcements about a port from Activision)

dafootballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
we are only doing a service to the mac community thought this would be good news to most

no we do not provide the full game only the wrappers (that use wine) to port out games you have to own the full game to put in your windows files for it work

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
we are only doing a service to the mac community thought this would be good news to most

no we do not provide the full game only the wrappers (that use wine) to port out games you have to own the full game to put in your windows files for it work

ignoring the hostilities, great work and I might give this a shot. hah.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Cool. But it's rather sad that you have to register to view that thread LOL.

I rather wait for an official port (since all COD games so far made by Infinity Ward have been ported to the Mac)...

dafootballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
well of course we would all love to see official ports of our games ;) someday i hope they will... they were a bit late last time

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
Great news. Won't create an account to view the thread however even though I would like to. Would like to see one for Dragon Ages: Origins also which I have running under wine/crossover with 1 minor glitch. Are you guys using the wine wrapper that Doh has been working on? Need to give his wrapper a try I think.

gavriels

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Is this legal? (genuine question, I don't follow this kind of thing but I'm sure I haven't seen any announcements about a port from Activision)

No, it's not. Redistribution of the Cider wrapper violates the Cider Technology License agreement. There's a good chance that other companies licenses are also being violated by this kind of redistribution.

dafootballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
No, it's not. Redistribution of the Cider wrapper violates the Cider Technology License agreement. There's a good chance that other companies licenses are also being violated by this kind of redistribution.

its perfectly legal we do not use that old tech from Transgaming anymore we use the wineskin wrapper programed by our very own doh123, some older ports do, but this one does not

The wrapper simply works by transforming the dlls, exes, etc into one bundle that Intel Macs can play in a .app form you need the original MW2 files but we provide you with the software to use it.

i also apologize for having the thread closed thats why i posted the info on here we dont want people just leeching our forums without signing up

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
They are using a wine wrapper that they are calling wineskin. It is open source. It's legal to do it, they don't provide the game content, you have to have that yourself. They aren't using any verison of cider either so they aren't grabbing it from another game and violating licensing. Thanks for the heads up dafootballer. So I guess I'll join over there. I have talked w/ Doh before regarding NWN2 and his wrapper.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I wouldn't exactly call this a "port." I imagine the performance is abysmal, the equivalent of trying to run it in Crossover. Good luck.

dafootballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
it could come to mac officially someday but nobody knows for sure...

yes it is like booting up crossover but this is one app and its much, much faster and more effective, also its free

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
there is a request for dragon age origins

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=18283&iTestingId=46420

it works in wine you could give it a shot by porting it yourself or i could try it later

Actually I have Dragon Age: Origins working in wine and also in Crossover Games. The only problem is I get a mini black shadow of all on screen characters at the lower left hand side of the display. I had to switch to backbuffer vs fbo because of flickering problems and movies aren't working. But the game is almost playable. I am rebooting though to play it though casue it looks so much better in windows.

dafootballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Well it seems a member is going to look at it he says he has ported it but there are a few bugs similar to the ones you found in crossover.

Ill keep you updated

applevx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
wow, this sounds ...

I like CoD MW myself, and looking forward to get hands on MW2.

Wish mac version can ported earlier.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.