Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 6, 2008
DE
I tried searching for a simliar topic, but came up with nothing.

I'll be purchasing the new 160GB iPod Classic after Christmas to replace my old 30GB iPod Video. Since my old iPod is 3-4 years old, it has a lot of music on there that I don't currently have in my iTunes library. It's also formatted for Windows from when I had a PC.

So my question: Is there any free or inexpensive software out there that can transfer my mp3's from my old iPod to my new iPod? Additionally, does it make a difference that my iPod Video is formatted for Windows? I own a MBP now, and don't have my PC anymore.

Thanks.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Isn't it amazing that in the Apple world you have to buy a third party product to do something that should be a default feature? Except for the obvious reason that Apple wants us to buy the same songs again and again from the iTunes store, what again is the rationale that iTunes won't copy mp3 files from an iPod back to a computer?

Sorry, but this still is -THE- most annoying "feature" of my iPod Touch and iTunes. And it's the #1 reason why I won't ever buy one again.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Isn't it amazing that in the Apple world you have to buy a third party product to do something that should be a default feature?

Basically if you've got your stuff organized, you will never need that functionality. And I guess it makes sense that Apple assumes that you've got your stuff organized. ;)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Isn't it amazing that in the Apple world you have to buy a third party product to do something that should be a default feature? Except for the obvious reason that Apple wants us to buy the same songs again and again from the iTunes store, what again is the rationale that iTunes won't copy mp3 files from an iPod back to a computer?

This is idiotic. You rip your CDs _once_ to your computer and put them into your iTunes library, you download music _once_ to your computer and put it into your iTunes library, when you buy a new iPod you just connect it to the computer, when you buy a new computer you just copy your library over.

The rationale for not copying music from your iPod to your computer is that it is bloody idiotic to copy to the computer that holds the iTunes library that the music comes from. Except, of course, if the music on the iPod is "borrowed" from a friends iTunes library, in which case you don't have any grounds to complain. And your rationale is right there.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
This is idiotic. You rip your CDs _once_ to your computer and put them into your iTunes library, you download music _once_ to your computer and put it into your iTunes library, when you buy a new iPod you just connect it to the computer, when you buy a new computer you just copy your library over.

Ditto, QFT, seconded, This, what have ya.

I have never thought about my iPod as the center of my music collection. Instead, iTunes is the core, the central media warehouse. iPods are simply portable physical manifestations of portions of that core.

I have also never understood the act of syncing all one's music over to the iPod, then clearing out large parts of the iTunes library. The only logical reason someone might have used is "to save disk space". But, as is said often here at MR, storage is cheap-- so that's no longer a valid excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.