Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Well i finially did it and ordered my 1.5 15" powerbook w/ super drive and 1 gig of ram along with an isight, new ipod (debating on what to do with it, i like my 3g 30 gig, i had the cram and jam savings so...for $70) and airport express and FCE. Anyway i wanted to know the best way to transfer files mostly mp3s from my win. 98 to my powerbook. (I don't have a home network)
Thanks for your help

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure how many mp3s you're talking about, but I just burned some CDs with the files on them as.. files. Any music that you have on the computer from physical CDs, you should prolly re-rip with iTunes. You can set it to rip and eject a CD when you slide it in, so it's not tedious at all.

Congrats on the buy, enjoy.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
pseudobrit said:
Safest bet, but slow and finicky on the Windows end.

I'd say FireWire it from PC to iPod then iPod to Mac. Does the Windows end allow for FireWire drive mode on the iPod?
Duff-Man says...I would guess that the win98 pc probably does not have firewire and that the transfer would probably be over usb on the pc side (usb2 if he's lucky, but since he's using w98 I'd guess we are talking a bit of an older pc probably), then firewire on the Mac side. If he can get the ethernet connection going in short order, that'd be the easier way i think...oh yeah!

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...I would guess that the win98 pc probably does not have firewire and that the transfer would probably be over usb on the pc side (usb2 if he's lucky, but since he's using w98 I'd guess we are talking a bit of an older pc probably), then firewire on the Mac side. If he can get the ethernet connection going in short order, that'd be the easier way i think...oh yeah!

I assumed he already had something faster on the Windows side because of his mention of owning a third-gen iPod.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I installed a firewire card...
Can you give me directions on how to set it up?
THanks again

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
puckhead193 said:
I installed a firewire card...
Can you give me directions on how to set it up?
THanks again

It hinges on whether or not the iPod can be mounted as a HDD on the Windows end. If it can, then you need simply upload your files onto the iPod.
Once you hook up the 'Pod to the Mac it's a very simple matter of downloading the files from the iPod.

If the iPod cannot be mounted on the Windows side, then you'll have to go with some Cat5 cable, and I'm not well versed enough on the Windows end to tell you how to set that one up.

note: importing the songs to the iPod via iTunes/MusicMatch/whatever will not allow you to get them out (easily) on the Mac end; this is using the iPod in FireWire drive mode that needs to be done.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
pseudobrit said:
I assumed he already had something faster on the Windows side because of his mention of owning a third-gen iPod.
but he has to use it with another computer...i thought you couldnt put songs on an iPod using a computer that wasnt running w2k/xp.

pseudobrit - since its his/her music, its a legitimate use of a program like iPodRip (http://thelittleappfactory.com). works with windows iPods :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
A friend well let me barrow his linksys router. How could i hook it up to tranfer the files between the pc and mac.
thanks again

mooshoo

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
Hi!

What about uploading the files to mailbox, then downloading it to the mac? Or would that take too long?

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I originally wanted to just connect them both via ADSL modem/router - and thought it would be easy...
but Windoz end was problematic...

Fastest and easiest way I found was I used my 40GB 3G iPod as an external firewire HDD... and got all my data over that way!

Very simple - very fast - no mucking around...
I figured the hours it would take me to play with network settings and the hidden Sharing options in Win XP it would be easier just to use the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.