Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nes007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
My toddler was playing games in my bed this morning. He is normally quite good with the phone and has his own apps to play. Anyhow about 15 minutes later I took the phone from him and instead of seeing the bottom layer icons that are static across screens I see a gray box. It appears darker at the top and gets lighter to the bottom with the number of tiny dark dots getting smaller as they get to the bottom. At the very bottom of the screen is a dark bottom line.

Anyone with experience with this? So far I have tried resetting it.

iPhone 3G.

crewrules101

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
your toddler seems to have entered the customization part of the phone. They simply touched and held their finger on any icon for long enough for them to start "dancing". when this happened they slid all of the icons out of the bottom grey bar. To put the phone, mail, safari, and ipod apps back into the bar, again, touch your finger to any icon until they start dancing, and then click and drag the icon for the phone, mail, safari, and ipod back into the bar. you can also adjust other icons the same way as well. if you also want you can adjust them in itunes with your iphone attached. for more info and a how to, go here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#basics.customizing-the-home-screen

nes007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Thank you! I googled the heck out of the symptoms. Glad it was something so simple.

Hateher

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
your toddler seems to have entered the customization part of the phone. They simply touched and held their finger on any icon for long enough for them to start "dancing". when this happened they slid all of the icons out of the bottom grey bar. To put the phone, mail, safari, and ipod apps back into the bar, again, touch your finger to any icon until they start dancing, and then click and drag the icon for the phone, mail, safari, and ipod back into the bar. you can also adjust other icons the same way as well. if you also want you can adjust them in itunes with your iphone attached. for more info and a how to, go here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#basics.customizing-the-home-screen

Hateher

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
I have this EXACT same problem - including the part about my toddler playing with my phone. The only difference is I have an iPhone 6. I tried holding down the icons until the jiggle but, no matter how much I swipe, I cannot find my phone, messaging, Safari, or camera. Please help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.