Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Titchski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Ok, here goes, I've been reading the MacRumours forums for a while now (awesome site) and was seriously contemplating getting a 12" PowerBook this month, but there seems to be a lot of rumours going around about G5 PB's or G4 extended PB's sometime this winter or early next year. So, I have a cunning plan..

Bearing in mind I have never used a Mac before I am going to get an iBook to "practice" on.

During this practice period my missus will get insanely jealous of the iBook and will want it. I will gradually wean her off her PC and onto the iBook until she uses it more than me. This should take about 6 months or so which should be just around the time of release for new powerbooks.

Does anyone see any fatal flaws in this plan? :D :confused:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Titchski said:
Does anyone see any fatal flaws in this plan? :D :confused:

You're assuming it will take 6 months to wean her from the PC. More likely she's going to want it about 6 minutes after you get it home.

Then what? :D

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
I cannot believe that we are so terrible on our women. I was going to do the same thing, but in a different way. I figured that after reading all the posts, it won't be for a while that the G5 PB would be out. So I got a 12"PB 1.33 and decided to use it to get used to Mac. I purchased the books and such. All I have to do is hand everything over to my wife later on, when they begin selling the next PB.
But I will have to accidentally break her PC laptop and take her away from my 2 desktops. She utterly hates Macs, but if I addes some flowers........

Eomando

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2004
UK
hehe, i think the most fatal flaw you can find with that plan is that *SHE* will want the new powerbook :p

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Eomando said:
hehe, i think the most fatal flaw you can find with that plan is that *SHE* will want the new powerbook :p

with an expensive leather carry case and new shoes to match.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Just make sure to keep the iBook all nice and pretty. You don't want her to take your powerbook because it looks so much nicer. But that's kinda futile, the Powerbooks just look so much nicer.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
That's why its warranted. Anyway, I would like to get a Rev. A because then, if it breaks, you can get a brand new computer and not have to pay for it. And most of the problems should be fixed in that new computer.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
Love your concept - but a few hiccups...

If she loves the iBook / Mac... she will want a NEW one of her own...

then if she sees the PB's she might like them more (as said above women love "pretty"...

and I suspect new PB will be further away from 6 months.

Maybe the inbetween / temporary solution - is you can grab her the new iMac next month when they come out?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What if she hates the iBook because she doesn't have an outfit to match?

What if the G5 PB doesn't come out soon?

What if the rev A G5 PB has heat and other issues, just like the rev A 12" PB did with much slower CPUs, I might add?

Why don't you NOT buy the iBook at all, and wait for the G5 PB?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Sounds like a good plan. In the event that she also wants a PB (or if she, higher powers forbid, doesn't like OS X), you can always sell the iBook when the PB G5 is released.

Titchski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Thanks for the replies all. I didn't forsee the potential for a new outfit purchase as well, gawd, that'll also mean a new hairdo and nails of course - this new computer malarky gets expensive :D

I actually think the iBook will cover what I need for now, I'm pretty sure I can sell it off when the PB's come out, whenever that may be.

I've only just got power back after Charley, so I haven't had much time to plan the final assault on the bank balance yet, but thanks again all :)

spasticmutant

macrumors member
May 2, 2004
Santa Clara
Titchski said:
Oh, she already knows that! :D

Once you convert her to Mac with the iBook, and then show her what a cheap bastard you are by dumping your hand-me-down on her and buying yourself a new Powerbook, she oughta dump your ass and date a shiny new guy that actually appreciates a discriminating woman.

Just remember, if you give her something used that breaks later, I guarantee it will reflect poorly on YOU. You've already told her she's not good enough to get your best. Cast-offs make ****ty gifts to quality girlfriends, no matter how well-intentioned you claim to be. If you can afford to get yourself something nice, you can afford to get HER something nice. Anything less means you don't care.

Save the cast-offs for Goodwill. For a woman that truly makes you happy, only your best should ever do.

Of course, if she isn't quality, and you don't care much, give her the cast-off. If she's smart she'll take the hint and move on. If she's not, congratulations. You're dating a doormat with low self esteem and minimal expectations, which you're able to meet. Lucky you.

Anne Marie

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
I just got my girlfriend converted to a mac. She didn't like macs before and when she started using mine she started to lean, but not enough. So, I took her to the nearest apple reseller, who also sells PC's, and she looked a little at the PC's and then came over to me in the mac section. Just yesterday we went out and baught her a new 12"Powerbook and iPod. I will actually be getting the same thing in about a month so we will have matching computers...hehe..not just for that reason. But, it will be my third mac since i switched about 1.5years ago.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
denm316 said:
I do not recommend a Rev A G5PB, my G5 powermac has issues and its a rev a, I can only imagine the reva pb problems.

I disagree.
There's nothing wrong with Rev. A's. 99% will work fine. And you'll find some DOA machines (or those with issues) even with Rev. B, C or even later.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
My G5 revA works just fine... but maybe thats because I waited long enough ;-) I bought mine in April (since the stole my PowerBook then... and I was allready looking to get a G5)

anyway: women like shiny things, I think she will want a PowerBook, because its shiny... allmost like giving a jewel... not just a plastic ring you get at a fair, but the real deal... so good luck with YOUR iBook and HER PowerBook :p

my ex-girlfriend was PC-minded, she didn't like working with MacOS (but then I was running OS9.2.2 on my Ti-Book, I think she would like X better...) but she loved the look of my Ti-Book: slim and metallic stylish... she wished her bulky PC laptop looked the same...
and she DIDN'T like the look of my B&W => too much Plastics (and gave same comment to my iMac DV)

but then I sold the plastic lot, kept the Ti-Book and got my iPod... she felt it was expensive... but liked the metallic backpart (mirror for her make-up??)

so its all the looks for women.

I drive a small car... she didn't mind because the color was what she loved: dark green metallic... LOOKS matter for women :)

J

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
spasticmutant said:
...she oughta dump your ass and date a shiny new guy that actually appreciates a discriminating woman...

...You've already told her she's not good enough to get your best...

Of course, if she isn't quality, and you don't care much, give her the cast-off. If she's smart she'll take the hint and move on. If she's not, congratulations. You're dating a doormat with low self esteem and minimal expectations, which you're able to meet. Lucky you.
Anne Marie

wow.

I'm doing basically the exact same thing, except it's actually my wife's idea. And lucky for me, otherwise I too would suffer the wrath of Anne Marie!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

*suspenseful music plays in background*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.