Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

criana

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
I just downloaded QuickSilver. It was recommended by several users.

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

I have no clue how to use this program or how to set it up even. Any users out there, if you can post some screen shots or explain how to use it that would be great!

TIA!!
:)

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
I use it for everything. To start an IM conversation, to pull up people's info from the address book, to control iTunes (browse songs, play, pause...), launch programs, open saved files, browse/view photos, browse folders, everything. The only thing it doesn't do is let me browse my mailboxes. Once thats in, it will be the most perfect program I have. I think the default way to start Quicksilver is Command+Space

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I used QS a long while back before switching to LaunchBar and now using QS again it seems to have developed a lot. Looks very promising, definitely a keeper!

criana

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
More questions

Wes,
Thanks for the link. I was there earlier, and was trying to understand it. It makes a little more sense now. I've been playing around with it a bit.

blvdeast,
How do you get it to open IMs? I also loaded a bunch of plug-ins, and I can't seem to get them to work. Like the Dict one.

Here's a screen shot of my prefs for the plugins, any ideas, did I load them wrong?

Attachments

• prefs.jpg
    prefs.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 89

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i'm still learning too...but

to use the dictionary, press ctrl space or cmnd space whatever brings up qs.. then press "." and type in the word you want to define... then press tab... then press down arrow until you reach where it says "define" ...to set that as the default action rightclick on the little circle to the left of it.

i'm writing this blind, i hope that was all correct.

as far as controling itunes, i'm not quite sure, but i found the above info and a lot more on there forums which are handy

i think in future updates the plugins will include instructions..hopefully

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
i have my IM buddies in my address book. So if I want to talk to Susan, and Susan is in my address book, I bring up QS, type Susan and it will first show her address card and buddy icon (scroll to the buddy icon), but i press space and the middle square shows "IM text..." and the last square you type your message. But it have to make sure you select the person's buddy icon, not their address card. It it easier then it sounds.

For iTunes, type browse, it will come up with Browse artist, albums, generes, and composers. If I want to hear Money from Pink Floyd, I can either press the right arrow on artist, scroll to Pink Floyd, then scroll to Dark Side of The Moon,press the right arrow then scroll to Money and press enter. Or you do the same stuff, but start with Browse Albums. You could type play, pause, next song, previous song to control the song. Just try it, its really easy when you get the hang of it. The best advice is don't be afraid to press the right arrow at everything and seeing what happens. Thats how I learned to browse my pics in iPhoto

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
knicksfan58 said:
how do you control itunes using quicksilver?

First of all you need to have the itunes module installed, after that you just type in itunes, use right arrow and take it from there! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.